PDA

View Full Version : Chilling out makes anxiety worse

Jay1985
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
All I wanna do, is sit , watch the tele, with no thoughts running through my head

Easier said than done though

Do I have to keep myself busy to get over this? Even if all I want is to relax

weary
03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Find some mind games like a memory game or a matching game of some sort anything to turn your thoughts to something else

kbuzz1
03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Keeping yourself busy can be an excellent thing, and you can do it while you relax. Best thing I ever did was start playing guitar. It's like meditation. Running through scales and chords keeps my mind very clear. 'Keeping busy' while watching tv has given me a new skill, and one that I can serenade the ladies with. OK, lady. I'm married :)

anxiousmess
03-03-2013, 08:55 AM
I am the same. As soon as I just sit - my thoughts seem to go into overdrive.

I know I can watch the tele if it is something I am really interested in. Hollyoaks.
I need to be interested, otherwise alls the tele has is my eyes. My concentration levels are focused solely on my thoughts.

The mind is a powerful tool though.
You can control your thoughts.
You just need to find your way.

Meditation has really helped me.
I just download hypnosis and meditation apps.

The reason I chose this is because it takes no effort at all.
I simply download, and plug my headphones in at bedtime.
You dont even need to fully listen to it as it goes straight to the subconcious.

I really believe it has helped me control my thoughts more throughout the day.

Everynight I listen to it. Well, not the past few days. My headphones broke. But the only thing that has changed are my dreams.

abartlett331
03-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Meditation really helped me as well. Another thing I personally like to do every now and then is sit by the pool with a glass of wine, while watching a movie on my laptop or listening to calming music. Sometimes I get so relaxed that I like to just sit and gaze at the stars on a hot summer night. :)

bajablue
03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I prefer to exercise or work in my yard real hard so that when I do collapse I am tired. When I sit and watch TV when rested - it gives my mind too much freedom to allow those intrusive thoughts.

anxiousmess
03-03-2013, 03:29 PM
My dad is like you. He keeps himself busy. He also tires himself out to the point of when he sits, he is asleep.

When watching tele he uses headphones.
It seems to work for him.
Might work for others too :-)

NixonRulz
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
After countless things I tried to do to eliminate the anxiety, I now just sit there and wait. I know it's uncomfortable but not at all dangerous.

The more me and my anxiety hang out, the more I realize how much weaker it is than me..

Took my 19 years of"fighting" to realize that fighting didn't work

I accept that this is a part of me that will never go away and that is fine

Once I accepted everything and realized all my physical symptoms were anxiety symptoms, the last year has been awesome.