View Full Version : Things You'd Like to Do But Feel You Can't
09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Do you ever think to yourself, I wish I could do this or that? But then the reality that you couldn't ever be brave enough to do that sinks in?
List the things you think about doing all the time.
1) I'd like to go down to the local library by myself and sign up for a library card!
2) I'd like to go knock on a neighbor's door I have never met and tell her what a beautiful garden she has.
3) I'd like to go down to the local junk store and look for goodies on Saturdays.
4) I'd like to have people drop by out of the blue without having a panic attack.
5) I'd like to go down the road and do a painting of the cows in the fields.
6) I'd like to join the local garden club and historical society.
7) I'd like to go down to the local healing arts center and get a massage (OH WAIT! I DID that! LOL and was so proud of myself)
What kind of things do you think about?
09-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Yea, I know what you mean. I don't think I"ve ever sat down and made a list of things I want to do, but it's not a bad idea. So I guess some of mine are:
1) I'd like to feel safe enough to go out in my front yard and pull weeds by
myself. (Meaning without my husband out there with me)
2) I'd LOVE to be able to talk a walk around my block by myself.
3) I'd like to be able to go shopping by myself and not have to drag my
4) I'd like to actually be able to look forward to going on vacation.
5) I'd like to be able to meet some of my husband's friends and co-workers
without having to visit the bathroom 10 times before hand.
6) I'd like to be able to walk up to someone and start a conversation and
not have every word in the english language fly out of my mind. :roll:
7) I'd like to not feel like I"m going to faint and run and hide everytime
someone knocks on my front door. :oops:
That's some of my list.
So far though the things I CAN get myself to do is drive to my mom's house, to the nursery school and to the chiropractor when I have to go. :D
Great Topic Bridgie! Hmm.. things for me would be:
1) I'd like to have a decent set of social skills so I can hold conversations with people
2) I'd like to not have anxiety around people so I could use the social skills from point 1. lol
3) I'd like to be able to hit on a girl I like, or even just hold a conversation with someone I'm attracted to
4) I'd like to talk in front of a group or crowd without having a panic attack
5) I'd like to be able to goof off and not feel like someone's judging me
6) I'd like to not get all self conscious about the way I look or talk or move.. even writing in public or talking on the phone has me thinking way too much about my voice (or how steady my hand might be when signing)
7) I wish I had friends that would invite me to parties -(and also to not have social anxiety at those parties!) hehe
and so on.. prety much all related to the same thing hehe
09-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Shoe that makes me feel so sad! You are so elequent and intellegent in your posts. You also seem so confident especially in this subject. I know it is hard to understand people especially of the opposite sex! Women can be scary, but the bottom line is all they want is love, and it would seem you can offer that! If you aproach anyone with love in your heart it shows, and even the worst case scenario isn't that bad. That doesn't help, I know.
I have been fortunate to have the same group of friends since I was in 7th grade,( before life got complicated) :wink: . For that I am greatful and lucky. Because in the past few years I have met very few people who I can trust and love.
Do you work outside of your home?
ladybug, thanks for the compliments. I wish I had a social background or friends to hang out with that would help me with social skills but no luck there. I want to find group behavioral therapy to help get me out of this hole but there aren't many types of group therapy available it seems.
I do work outside my home but don't have friends there either. but thats alright, theres not many there I would associate well wtih anyway.
10-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I just wish I could be more confident in myself.
Even though I can't sing for beans, I would love to a singer because I love music and I love to sing to myself when no one is around. 8)
10-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Things I would like to do :
1. stop feeling guilty
2. I would like to be able to forgive
3. Be able to except compliments ( it makes me very uncomfortable
4. To be able to stop worrying !!!
5. To be able to trust
6. To learn to love myself as much as I love others
10-16-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd love to do the following
1.Stop worrying about pointless things that I know dont matter
2.Be able to go on holidays...such as boston with my family in feb
(i already missed out on the trip to Australia and NZ cos of the anxiety)
3.Be able to go out socially to new places and not have to leave early
4. Be able to talk to girls i find attractive!!!!
5. Just stop WORRYING :)
10-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Good topic Bridgie
Things I would like to do:
1. Be able to go out to a movie with my son instead of giving excuses as to why I can't.
2. Take my son out to eat at a restaurant and not worry about how many people there is.
10-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I want to accomplish these things in my path right now, which I feel it is playing a role in my increasing anxiety lately.
1. Finally decide which major I will pursue in college
2. Not be afraid to make mistakes and stop feeling so guilty
3. Learn to forgive myself
4. Feel confident with my decisions
5. Stop doubting my abilities
("Right Now" goals)
1. Eat dinner at a restaurant without feeling like I need to "get out"
2. Approach people without feeling insecure
3. Be able to communicate my thoughts when I speak out loud instead of blank out (lately, in class, when I come up with good insights and want to share it with the class, I raise my hand...and that is the moment I blank out. The words that come out are not my thoughts at all, they sound stupid bc I cannot gather my thoughts together, it really frustrates me and after that I fall into a panic attack)
4. Go shopping... I have not gone to the grocery store or local pharmacy bc I dread the thoughts of waiting in line.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.