PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a "not googling ur symotoms" challenge? What do you have to lose?

mglover92
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
I have a bad habit of googling my symptoms. Actually my first panic attack happened out of fear that I was depressed and the panic attack came RIGHT when I went to google my problem. Every since then no matter what is on my mind whether its a mental problem, a physical health problem, I google it to try and find reassurance.

Yes sometimes googling your symptoms is ok but when its a habit and you do it everyday it fucking sucks. It sucks because you may find something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with you and then you're mind finds every little past feeling, thought, or symptom and you feel like shit the rest of the day. I'm sure we can all relate.

My habit of googling has gone beyond taking "how depressed are you?" test and passing them all just to make sure im not depressed. Now keep in mind my anxiety started first as health anxiety but then transformed into this fear of going crazy, losing control, and suicide. I am none of those things but anxiety makes you "think" you are. When you google these things you are only making the anxiety stronger and its going to continue to grow like mine did. The key is to not question the thoughts and let them come and go. For us however we latch on to everything.

So maybe not googling our symptoms could help us to break the OCD part of our anxiety! Yes googling ur symptoms constantly is actually a form of OCD because you are doing in constantly to try and find reassurance when there is nothing wrong in the first place. So maybe if we break the chain our mind can calm down? Instead of looking at this craziness on the internet....whos down for the challenge? So far iv gone about 2 days.

Teddy1212
03-01-2013, 01:15 AM
I try so hard not to google my symptoms....I know it's difficult, but try not to do it, for me and many others it makes you so much worse.

mglover92
03-01-2013, 03:07 AM
it sure does.....its terrible! Whos up for the challenge?!

mellymel
03-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Me!! :) I am!!

trinidiva
03-01-2013, 06:00 AM
I definitely am up to that challenge!

JAug
03-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Lets do it...

kbuzz1
03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
As long as I can still google videos and pictures of kittens I'm all for it :)

klewis
03-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I am up for that! That sounds fantastic...I google symptoms wayyyy too much. Didn't realize it was OCD but that makes perfect sense! What a wonderful idea!!

mglover92
03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
niceeee! So its day 3 for me not googling bad shit and i must say I dont feel as on edge, hows it going for u guys?! :)

janey
03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I do that all the time and I ALWAYS find something that just makes me more anxious.
I take all sorts of quizzes and read all over mayoclinic, webmd, psychcentral, and lesser known sites. The things that get me the most are the little quizzes on the side, like "Is your relationship self-destructive? Take this quiz to find out!" when all I was doing was looking up Borderline Personality Disorder symptoms. So then I HAVE to take that quiz or else it will itch at my brain. Then I get so anxious about the quiz results and I fear the worst. Usually, those quizzes come out just fine.

I typically Google my symptoms to find out what IS wrong with me and find relief in relating to a disorder which lets me know I'm at least not 100% crazy.

mglover92
03-01-2013, 08:03 PM
more people NEED to get on this. The reason why anxiety is stuck in you're head is because you are constantly reminding yourself that you DO have it and googling the symptoms is only adding fuel to the fire.

freakingoutnow
03-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I will take the challenge!

mglover92
03-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Today is day I forgot lol. Havnt googled my symptoms. Feels gooooooood. Alot better then when I was!