PDA

View Full Version : Fear of fainting any advice?

animegirl4ever
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
One time back in 2010/2011 I had a fear of diabetes so I stopped eating sugar cold turkey and ended up fainting one morning in the bathroom

Due to my therapist and doctor who both want me to lay off the candy and bad sugar I've been trying to do so in little dose I also find I'm not craving candy and such like I used to these past few days, My fear is I don't want to faint due to withdrawal any advice?

Especially when it comes to church on sunday morning?

Also I've been drinking lots of water, and eating bunches of fruit

FordingTheWaters
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Keep making sure that your diet is balanced and stay hydrated. You should be fine, barring some serious medical condition, you'd be surprised how difficult it is to get to the point where you actually pass out.

I've passed out before and it's an awful feeling. As a result, I have the EXACT same fear and it's bothered me for years. One thing that seems to help is desensitizing myself to it. If it keeps you from doing things (it's done that to me in the past), try doing those things in small doses. Tell yourself that if that didn't make you faint, a little more activity probably won't make you pass out either.

And remember that even if you do pass out, you'll likely wake right up, and anyone around you will probably come to your aid. From what I've seen, people generally get very concerned when someone comes into sudden distress.

Another thing that helps with me is to try to "provoke" it to happen. By this, I mean, if you're at home and you're afraid you'll faint, go sit back and relax and do something distracting. Say to yourself "If it happens, it happens." Chances are, you'll find yourself saying "Hey! Nothing's happening!"

Good luck!