PDA

View Full Version : CV - Possibly wanting to tr yand go back to work

smurfychris
02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
OK it's quite a simple question but I'm not sure what to put, I'm putting together my CV, I want to try and get out there again, now there's like a 2-3 year gap from when I last worked? What should I put on my cv to date? Result of anxiety and that but do people actually put that?

jessed03
02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Hey Chris,

I took a similar time off of work when I was out with anxiety, before getting a new job. I think there are 2 ways two go about this really. The first is the dishonest way, the second, is the less dishonest way!

I mean, nobody would begrudge you for lying. "I did some travelling around, worked abroad for a bit"

But I assume you don't want to get started on a lie!! So the less dishonest way is the best, and that's to be very vague, whilst technically being honest. I explained those 2 years off as "A major health concern within my family, in which I had a big role in care responsibility. Thankfully the issue has resolved itself satisfactory, and I'm excited to put all my energy into my career now." Usually an employer will leave it there, as it isn't good practice to delve into peoples personal family life. Technically this isn't a lie... That person was you, but the employer has no reason to really disqualify you. I actually wrote this as an occupation entry on my CV, I felt I would just get ignored if I left those 2.5 years as blank. I understand some positions, and some places, that may not be standard practice. Every place has it's unique etiquette.

I mean, if you find a really great employer, I'd say be as honest as possible, it's always the best way, but if you're in Europe or the US, I know the employment market is brutal right now. They're looking for any reason not to hire you, unless you show great talent, or have a shed load of experience.

It took me a little longer to get going, but it did get me there. I'd say if you're able to, get some voluntary work, or unpaid work going ASAP, and stick it at the top of your employment section. That way, it gives it something current, it shows the employer you're hungry, you're able to work, and you're credible. All sorts of worries go through their minds otherwise like, was he in prison? Did he have back to back babies three times? was he committed for running naked through a park? etc...

There's always a side note, perhaps you've been doing stuff on the side, that you could stretch out, perhaps you have been working with family members, or doing some philantric things to keep busy over the last few years? Usually unlikely though, when suffering anxiety!

As a general rule though, I would not even mention anxiety at any point until about 3 months into your job. It's just the way it is, sad really, but people are judged horribly for it in the employment market.

I'm not sure what kind of agencies there are where you live, but my doctor referred me to a mental health support team, and about a year after my breakdown, they put me in touch with a mental health charity who often have different schemes and initiatives with companies, to help those who had been afflicted, to get back into work. It works a lot better when an organization say you have anxiety, but are good for work, than when you simply say it yourself. I didn't really need their help in the end, I was feeling good, and rebuilding fast, but I'm sure they are very helpful for people.

It all depends how you want to stretch the truth, and how understanding the people you are dealing with are. Try to make it sound like you spent your time deliberately, and productively. If you get some interesting voluntary work, or work experience placement going, I think it will take a lot of focus off of that gap, and give you something interesting to talk about at an interview.

What industry are you into by the way? it often can influence your answer