PDA

View Full Version : How do I explain my anxiety to my friends?

dreamdreamdream
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Some of my friends are very supportive of me when they see that I'm having an anxiety attack. They'll ask me if they can get me water, tea or my meds, say something comforting and then let me work through it.

But another one of my friends, whom I love dearly, has very negative views on mental health treatments and it is very frustrating to me. He grew up watching TV and movies that enforce the idea that you can physically will yourself to get over any problem. (Case in point when he drinks he thinks he can will himself sober)
He'll say things belittling those who need medication and mental health professionals in general. And when I try to explain my anxiety to him he goes "so you get really nervous and you need medication?"

I don't think he's trying to be mean. But it's really hurtful when he says these things, and it's important to me that he understands why my anxiety isn't just being in a bad mood.

How do I get through to him?

-A

Dawndy
02-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Some of my friends are very supportive of me when they see that I'm having an anxiety attack. They'll ask me if they can get me water, tea or my meds, say something comforting and then let me work through it.

But another one of my friends, whom I love dearly, has very negative views on mental health treatments and it is very frustrating to me. He grew up watching TV and movies that enforce the idea that you can physically will yourself to get over any problem. (Case in point when he drinks he thinks he can will himself sober)
He'll say things belittling those who need medication and mental health professionals in general. And when I try to explain my anxiety to him he goes "so you get really nervous and you need medication?"

I don't think he's trying to be mean. But it's really hurtful when he says these things, and it's important to me that he understands why my anxiety isn't just being in a bad mood.

How do I get through to him?

-A

Ok I am going to give you my advice ... And I am not trying to be mean, but really he is a good friend? He is not supportive of your feelings or your disorder? That is not a friend! And if any one needs mental help it is him .. If he thinks he can will his self sober! Anxiety is a PHYSICAL reaction your body goes thru as a result of stress or fear! Sorry I had to get that out ....

Ask him if he has ever been afraid... Even if it was when he was little .. Then tell him you know that feeling you get, well I get that multiplied by 100. I cant stop it no more than I could stop myself from bleeding if I cut open my arm. But I can control how bad it gets if I have people around me who understand when I am having an attack. I love you, you are my friend and I need you to be supportive of what I am going thru and if you can't then I need you to just shut up and not say a word to me about it. I won't talk to you about it and you will not say anything about. But that may cause me some anxiety so I may not be able to be around you as much... It is your choice. Then let him make the choice.... I have had to have this conversation with several people almost word for word. Most of them said OMG I didn't realize. And I had a few I had to let go, because I realized they were not really my friend if they couldn't stand by me in sickness and in health, in good times and bad.

weary
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Dreamdreamdream- I know what you mean I have some pretty amazing and supportive friends but I have been struggling with getting some of my family to understand including my husband. I have suffered for 8 yrs and dealt with it on my own and a b12 complex but then it stopped working. I found this site last week just as my doctor was upping my dosage and I had no support from my parents husband and sister...... The people in the forum helped me get through the first few days of taking my new dose and I am finally feeling better. Tonight I posted about how I woke up feeling great then got called into work early which sent me right into and anxiety attack .... My husband did not get it. Until I read what someone posted in reply and it finally clicked. So if this friend does not understand read him some of the posts and the responses that others put and maybe this will help those who don't really understand get a better understanding of what we actually go through and much it really stops us from living the lives we once led in a more peaceful time. Stay positive and strong and remember those who suffer together can find a way to heal together.