PDA

View Full Version : Hello

jellybelly03
02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as I am new here. I have had a mental health problem (anxiety and depression) for around 5 years, I swallowed my pride and asked for help about a year ago. I have had counselling and been taking citalopram since June last year, stopped counselling in November, and I am just starting to come off my medication.

I joined to talk to other people about their problems and how they cope with them. Most of the time my family and boyfriend just don't understand the things I go through, and the thoughts that go through my head. I try talking to them, but I think I would feel better understood, and could be helped more by discussing problems with others who have anxiety.

Please feel free to message me :)

cat eyes
02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as I am new here. I have had a mental health problem (anxiety and depression) for around 5 years, I swallowed my pride and asked for help about a year ago. I have had counselling and been taking citalopram since June last year, stopped counselling in November, and I am just starting to come off my medication.

I joined to talk to other people about their problems and how they cope with them. Most of the time my family and boyfriend just don't understand the things I go through, and the thoughts that go through my head. I try talking to them, but I think I would feel better understood, and could be helped more by discussing problems with others who have anxiety.

Please feel free to message me :)

What kind of symptoms were u getting?

jellybelly03
02-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I had at least 1 panic attack every day. Pins and needles, insomnia, unable to relax, I felt like I was constantly looking over my shoulder, found it difficult to catch my break, severe impatience - I would get so angry and irate over the tiniest of things. I also had heart palpitations and would sweat at my most nervous

honey
02-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi jelly i had the same symptoms as you which was very intense in the beggining, i have it under control now but its still hard and im scared to go on medication and dont wana go crazy from all the panic.

jellybelly03
02-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I was scared to take citalopram to start with, as I thought to myself how could have things possibly have got this bad? After getting over the side effects for the first few weeks (dry mouth, vivid dreams, difficulty sleeping) it allowed me to focus on changing my anxious habits. It made me feel a bit distant, and not entirely in the same room as people (if that makes sense) and flat. I neither felt like running away from situations, or being happy to stay in them, just... Being there really. But it allowed me to see what anxiety really is, how harmless it is, and instead of having panic attacks, I learnt to control the anxiety and to try and let it pass. Now I'm reducing my dose I feel a bit more "alive" and in touch with the rest of the world. But I do think without citalopram and my counsellor, I'd still be in the same horrid cycle.

Maybe you could talk to your doctor about going on a small dose to start with, and see how you go. It does take a bit of time and patience, but the most important thing it made me realise is anxiety will not hurt me.

Practicing mindfulness also helped me to control my anger outbursts, and to see the anxiety coming, recognise it, and then let it pass. It really did work for me.

Wishing you the very best of luck :-)

honey
03-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi jelly, mindfullness is a really good tool against anxiety, but its so hard to get into an my mind often drifts, but i know it takes patience and practice and once u conquer it, it can be very good for anxiety