PDA

View Full Version : Traumatic childhood led to my disorders?

thatyuckyfeeling
02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I was wondering if others have had crappy childhoods and blame this for this awful disease. My dad was a violent alcoholic. H never laid a finger on me, but raged on a weekly basis, kicking in doors to my mothers room, punching walls, belittling my mom. This all happened in front of me and scared the living crap out of me on a weekly basis for over a decade. Does anyone else have similar childhood issues that you think contribute to your disease?

moonchild1986
02-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Yes. I had a horrid child hood

thatyuckyfeeling
02-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Thanks for sharing. The weird thing for me was that until I started therapy I basically repressed my childhood and believed that it was normal. Now I am starting to remember events that scare the hell out of me. But at least now I can understand where my OCD and anxiety arose from. Thanks for sharing!

moonchild1986
02-17-2013, 04:49 AM
I'm exactly the same. It wasn't until I became a mum myself that I realises oh my child hood was horrific.

thatyuckyfeeling
02-17-2013, 04:59 AM
It's awful. Congrats on being a mom. I really want kids and so does my wife, but I'm so afraid that my child would inherit all my psych disorders. Maybe down the road when I get better, but for now taking care of myself is my top priority. Thanks for the reply!

scow
02-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Childhood - severely impacted me - that's what can happen.

sazco
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Thats how my step-dad was so i believe this is why i am the way i am today.

akredlin
02-17-2013, 11:51 PM
After years of therapy they figured out that's what triggered mine as well- my father was an alcoholic but what I saw that triggered it was him vomiting uncontrollably. So now I'm a huge emerophic (I fear vomiting and stomach viruses) which makes my life a living hell. And just like you, I fear having kids as well because I hate the thought of me passing it onto them. I've said things like "I'm so miserable I wouldn't wish this upon anyone- not even my worst enemy" let alone my kids. I can't imagine my babies going through this. So I know where you're coming from.