PDA

View Full Version : How long to overcome SA ?

R8DRN8SHN
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
How long did it take to gradually become a normal person and overcome your social anxiety disorder ? Im 16 and a half right now and I want to do a lot of things before I turn to the age of 18. If I don't accomplish my goals at that age, suicide will be there. The only thing holding me back is the anxiety and my head. I know I need medication and cognitive-behavioral therapy but I need to know how long it took you guys to overcome it. That is if you have.

Robbed
06-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Contrary to what many therapists will tell you, wanting to know when you will get better is perfectly normal. It is NOT a form of OCD!!! Wanting to feel good is perfectly normal, as is wanting to know when you will no longer feel bad. Unfortunately, it is impossible to put a timetable on recovery. Will you recover by the age of 18? Nobody knows for sure. But the sooner you make an effort at recovery the better. I would try finding a good therapist to work with (and good therapists can be hard to find), as well as some self-help before resorting to meds. I believe that meds have WAYYY too many pitfalls to be considered the first-line treatments they are widely considered to be.

As for wanting to accomplish all your goals by the age of 18, keep in mind that this is simply impossible. And thinking that you MUST is just going to lead to more anxiety and hurt. Also, keep in mind that life is not over when you turn 18. In fact, it is just beginning. Our society is VERY good at poisoning young people's minds by making them think that success MUST be achieved at a young age, or else you are a loser. But this simply isn't true. And, although this thinking is possibly somewhat well intentioned (by getting people to try to be their best), it definitely hurts more than it helps. So while you should definitely try to do what you canto make the most of your life, don't et down on yourself when things don't go according to OTHER PEOPLE'S desires.