PDA

View Full Version : Klonopin ?

mellymel
02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
I got some klonopins today. Never taken them before, says they can cause suicidal thoughts and that freaks me out cause I already have intrusive thoughts about that...anyone else take these ?

Joey21
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
My mother-in-law is on those and I refuse to take them. It's ativan or nothing for me

mellymel
02-15-2013, 11:51 AM
What's your issue with them ?

Joey21
02-15-2013, 01:03 PM
The suicidal thoughts, like you mentioned, is the main problem that I have with them.

Another reason is I hear that Kilonopin isn't as effective for panic attacks and is mostly used daily for seizures and tremors. Ativan is given strictly to treat panic/anxiety

Joey21
02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Here's some good info that I just found. I guess it depends on the person steadyhealth.com/Is_Klonopin_better_than_Ativan__t93713.html

alankay
02-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Klonopin never did anything for me but reduce anxiety:). It's a fine drug if you ask me and as good as any of the long acting benzos. Alankay

nf1234
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I have taken them plenty of times and they have never given me any adverse side effects. They are required to list every possible side effect but that doesn't mean you will experience it. Klonapin is an anxiety drug and it works well. I would recommend trying it and maybe before bed. It well help you get a good nights sleep and if you do have any intrusive thoughts you should just be able to fall asleep. Klonapin has been around for years and is a very safe drug.

How many mg's did your doctor prescribe and how often?

alankay
02-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Klonopin can be use for panic and GAD type anxiety. Just depends on the dose. It(35 hour half life) will just last a while longer than ativan(20 hour half life). I have used both and found either very effective. They are both high potency benzos but klonopin has a longer life so used more for GAD but by no means exclusively. Try 1/2 dose of the klonopin to start, you'll be fine and keep us posted. Alankay

bajablue
02-15-2013, 08:31 PM
They are rescue meds for me. When I get breakout anxiety that is tough to cope with I take an Ativan. Those periods are rare but and a typical situation for me may last a few weeks where I need one or two Ativans (1mg) per day. Then I do not take any for months. I also had Klonopin as my rescue med for a long time and it was equally good. I have been at this for many years and those two are what work for me in times of trouble (part of a beatles lyric?)

mellymel
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the insight, everyone! I hope they help me when I need it :)