PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else put off reading importantemails or letters they're afraid to read?

taco_burglar
02-15-2013, 05:39 AM
SO I don't know what the forum etiquette is around here but I feel like I need some one to talk to so this is my first post and my first thread.

Right now, I am sitting at my computer procrastinating about reading an email from one of my professors. I sent her an email explaining some absences and late assignments. Part of the letter was embarrassing because I admitted I was hospitalized for alcohol withdrawals ( I use alcohol to deal with my anxiety. I don't drink everyday but sometimes I go on days long binges and this last one was particularly bad) and that's why I missed class and an assigned due date. Ugghhh.... I just feel like a fucking bum.

I do the same thing with student loan debt collectors. I let the unopened letters pile up and accrue even more interest because I have extreme anxiety about dealing with these people. This avoidance leads to more shitty feelings and anxiety.

Today I made a decision to finally open the letters and call the collectors. It went better than I expected and relieved some of my anxiety.

The fear of reading the email from my teacher is even more severe though because it's a really embarrassing situation and I am basically admitting to her that I am an alcoholic. uggghhh. The only thing worse than a response from her would be no response at all because then I would have to visit her office about it.

Can anyone giving me some encouragement to get this done?

TL;DR I'm avoiding reading a potentially negative email from my professor. Do other people have this problem with avoiding important letters or emails that but could be negative?

Thank you very much for any advice. :)

alankay
02-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Yeah. It's a kind of anticipatory anxiety. Very common man. Absolutely! It's never as bad as you fear(these types of things). ALankay

trinidiva
02-15-2013, 06:36 AM
^^^ I agree. It's never as bad as you think. Go ahead and read the email. No matter the response, you will feel better at least knowing what her response is. You never know, people can be more understanding than we think.

thatyuckyfeeling
02-17-2013, 04:40 AM
YES!!! I thought I was the only one who did this. Any email/message I get I fear it's going to be bad news and wait until I'm in a better mood to open it up. I sell on ebay and am worried about people returning things so sometimes I wait days to open up their message. My advice is to do it late at night before you go to bed. That way if it really is bad news you can sleep on it. Otherwise if I read it in the morning it ruins my whole day. Thank you for sharing!