PDA

View Full Version : Breathing and anxiety

nicole123x
02-11-2013, 02:07 PM
When I'm anxious I tend to feel out of breath but I'm actually not, I keep feeling the need to sigh and yawn to 'get my breath' it just happens naturally to me .... Does anyone else get this with anxiety?

alankay
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah I think that can be another symptom. Alankay

Malyn
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes you are hyperventilating. Try to take a deep breath or breath from a brown bag or if there is no brown bag use your palm to cover your mouth and take slow breath. Hope it helps

nicole123x
02-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Yes you are hyperventilating. Try to take a deep breath or breath from a brown bag or if there is no brown bag use your palm to cover your mouth and take slow breath. Hope it helps

Thanks very much for your help! I have hyperventilated before, this caused tingling in my lips and sometimes fingers but I got non of this?

justconfused
02-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Not sure if it is the same as you're talking about, but when I have what I call "episodes" where I focus too much on my breathing without even wanting to.. I always feel like there is no way I'm getting enough air, and I try to regulate my breathing which probably makes it worse. It generally happens to me when I'm about to fall asleep and I always think I have to correct it before sleeping or I will have messed up breathing in my sleep.

AnxietyInstituteSA
02-12-2013, 09:04 AM
You're anxiety is probably causing you to take shallow breaths that cause your chest to rise and fall. You want to try to take deep breaths that make your abdomen extend when you breath in and retract when you breath out. You can practice this by lying flat, placing a book on your abdimen, and trying to make the book rise and fall. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth slowly while counting to ten while you're doing each.

www.anxietyinstitutesa.com

Saldav
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
When I'm anxious I tend to feel out of breath but I'm actually not, I keep feeling the need to sigh and yawn to 'get my breath' it just happens naturally to me .... Does anyone else get this with anxiety?

Ya when I'm anxious I tend to feel out of breath as well, as a matter of fact all day yesterday I kept yawning and yup it happens naturally.

It's a relief for me when I know that I'm not the only one with these symptoms. Hope you get some relief too knowing your not alone.