PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell my doctor.

R8DRN8SHN
06-13-2007, 02:17 AM
OK I havent went to the doctor in years. So if I get checked how should I tell him about my phobia of talking to people ?

need2talk
06-14-2007, 11:36 PM
yea u should if its creating any problems in your life. maybe just tell him/her you have anxiety around people and ask if he can you somebody to see

fcDrifter127
06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Well doctors are not stupid, and theyve seen things alot worst than social phobia, so I would just come out and tell him "I have alot of symptoms of social anxiety/social phobia, can you refer me to someone or give me a test?" An on duty doctor wont laugh at you or anything like that, as its a serious and potentially debilitating condition. If he does, sue him for emotional damages.

Either you get help, or you get rich. Its a win-win situation.. right?

bohemianbarbie
06-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Just tell him that you've been feeling the symptoms of social anxiety and would like to know more about it and then he will diagnose you with SAD and put you on medication and set you up with a therapist.

Fear
11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Well doctors are not stupid, and theyve seen things alot worst than social phobia, so I would just come out and tell him "I have alot of symptoms of social anxiety/social phobia, can you refer me to someone or give me a test?" An on duty doctor wont laugh at you or anything like that, as its a serious and potentially debilitating condition. If he does, sue him for emotional damages.

Either you get help, or you get rich. Its a win-win situation.. right?
hahahahahahaha,I like this!I really like it,you're great! :tongue:

random
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
how should I tell him about my phobia of talking to people ?

Well, usually you just open your mouth and start talki... ahhh I see your problem! :D

You can discuss it with your doc, and they'll decide on what's most appropriate. Is it a phobia in the sense that you try to talk to people, clam up, can't say anything and break out in a cold sweat? Or are you just too shy to make eye contact and start a conversation?

If it's the latter, just practice being social. When you're walking around, look at someone's eyes and if they look back at you smile and nod your head, then look away. Once you're comfortable doing that, smile and say "hi" and when you get a "hi" or a smile in return, then look away. Next, try simple conversation - put your watch in your pocket and when you see someone wearing a watch get their attention and say "excuse me, what time is it?" "thanks!" and walk off.

Occasionally you'll get people who are rude and ignore you, and it's important to realise it's because they're rude and that's not your problem!

Steve_P
03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
OK I havent went to the doctor in years. So if I get checked how should I tell him about my phobia of talking to people ?

Just be honest and come clean. Obviously you've spent some time in this forum and have an idea about exactly what anxiety disorders you're suffering from, so I would start with telling the doctor exactly what you believe you are experiencing and what some of your thoughts/experiences with each are.

Additionally, we all know the figures, over 20 million people in the U.S. alone suffer from debilitating anxiety - now I don't know if that's estimated or the tally of all the people who actually go and seek help, but the point is... you're not alone! Anxiety really is becoming an epidemic in our fast-paced world, and any doctor I'm sure has seen more than his or her share of anxiety disorders, so try not to be afraid or feel weird.