PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

JimmyB
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I went to my doc today to get some CBT and he really recommended this so I got some sitting on my desk now - what do you guys think?

I've tried St. John's Wort for 2 and a half month and it just hasn't worked well enough for me.

jitters
06-10-2007, 03:50 AM
I take citlopram and it works for me just helps you to get back on an even keel. Unlike SSRI tablets it didn't make me feel detatched or distant.

Duncan

TWYI
06-10-2007, 03:51 AM
I take citlopram and it works for me just helps you to get back on an even keel. Unlike SSRI tablets it didn't make me feel detatched or distant.

Duncan

Citalopram is an SSRI isn't it? :?

Robbed
06-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Citalopram is another name for Celexa - an SSRI. And as such, it can hve ALL the side effects typical of SSRIs, including feeling detached, distant, tired, foggy, etc. With this said, the choice as to whether to use meds or not is NOT an easy one. Some people take these meds, quickly return to normal, and experience few to no side effects. Others take these meds and end up wishing they never even heard of them. And yet others take them with varying degrees of success and levels of side effects. Where will you fall? Well, you won't know unless you try them.

I myself am rather anti-SSRI. They just don't seem to be the godsend that the health care and pharmaceutical industries make them out to be for the VAST majority of people I have known who take them. And I really don't think they should be the treatment of first resort. I would try other, nondrug therapies first. Especially if your anxiety is not so bad that you can't function (ie multiple panic attacks per day, being housebound, etc). CBT is a good choice. But make sure that you know that, contrary to the teachings of most CBT, not ALL of your anxiety is going to be the result of your immediate thoughts. Some results simply from the anxiety state. And MANY CBT therapists don't acknowledge this. Also take a look at the list of symptoms on this forum. Oftentimes, just knowing that your distess is just a SYMPTOM of anxiety (rather than something ominous or harmful) can help TREMENDOUSLY.

jitters
06-12-2007, 02:23 AM
OOOpppss!s yeah that was the medication that made me feel spacey I'm now on Dosulepin. This works better for me but there is generally a higher chance of side effects.

JimmyB
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Did your spacey period go when you stopped taking them? I'm already suffering with depersonalisation so maybe its not such a good idea?

Robbed
06-13-2007, 05:21 AM
I have never taken SSRIs before. But from what I have heard, different things can happen to different people. The 'spaciness' can simply be a 'starter side effect' for some people. In other words, it subsides for some people once the body gets used to the drug. For others, it is always there as long as the drug is taken. However, I have not heard of it becoming permanent. In other words, it should stop when the drug is discontinued, although SSRI withdrawal can be a horrid experience for some (even when 'properly' tapered). But withdrawal is a whole different story altogether.

Honestly, if your anxiety is not completely debilitating, I would give therapy a fair shake before taking meds. Given the pitfalls of meds, I would not go with meds as a treatment of first resort.

JimmyB
06-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Well my anxiety and depression seem to be better than they were but I amn now suffering from depersonalisation which is crippling.