PDA

View Full Version : first counseling appt

captainkitty
02-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Has anyone had counseling for anxiety?
This is my first time so i'm sure I won't expect much for the first visit, probably just paper work and questions.
I'm just curious to those who have taken it, did it help any? Any improvement?

helplessinseattle
02-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Yay for you! When I started counselling it wasn't an immediate cure, of course, but the biggest best part was just having someone believe me and be willing to work with me. It changes how you fell, in a good way. Like not so alone with this diabling but invisible condition.

helplessinseattle
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Try to be very truthful about your symptoms and don't downplay them or minmize the effect anxiety has on your life. The counselling office is a place where yu don't have to be all strong and brave or blame yourself for anything. Let it flow. And they ALWAYS have plenty of Kleenex.

Ahlstrom
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes, I have been to quite a few counseling appts.

Me and my counselor have not talked about ways of coping, but I have started desensitizing myself from things that trigger my panic attacks.

For example, I always had to leave the room when my friends smoked weed. If I smelled even a little bit of it I would flip complete shit and my heart rate would spike quick. Eventually through my doctors directions on how to desensitize myself I'm now able to sit around my friends when they smoke, which is a great relief to me, because I hated when everyone would be having fun but I was the one who had to sit all alone in another room waiting for them to finish.

helplessinseattle
02-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Ahlstrom, if you would like to, would you tell us a bit about how the desitization works? What do you do to desensitize that helps?

PhoenixStorm
02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
How was your appointment? How did you find a counselor?

Sorry for the questions, I haven't reached out professionally yet.. and I was wondering how the process worked and if it helped for you.. :)

captainkitty
02-03-2013, 02:09 PM
It's fine! :)
My appointment went well. We just went over my history and she asked a few questions, the next appointment is when I start "getting the help".
It wasn't as bad as I expected.
And I found a counselor through my obyn because I am currently pregnant! I couldn't find one before because there was always a long wait list but I assume they see pregnant women faster.

PhoenixStorm
02-03-2013, 02:15 PM
That's good. Sounds painless... Excited about being pregnant?! I have 3 kids :) I used to see a councler but I think I need more profressional help...

captainkitty
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
That is great!
Honestly, i'm terrified. One of the main reasons why i'm going to counseling actually. I suffer from terrible anxiety and it seems to have only gotten worse unfortunately.
And yes, same here. I will be seeing a psychiatrist next week so double the help I hope.

Can'tBreathe
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I have been seeing a psychologist for about 3 weeks. Not sure if it helped directly, but I I haven't suffered from extreme anxiety since. In fact, I get better everyday and I have stopped medication. My doctor teaches me relaxation techniques and to not "brace" against a stressful emotion. To allow myself to feel it, recognise it and let it pass. Its been such an eye opener. For eg, "I have an interview tomorrow. I allow body to feel things. I close my eyes and think, 'oh, this is fear.'" And then it seems to soften the experience.

Ahlstrom
02-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Ahlstrom, if you would like to, would you tell us a bit about how the desitization works? What do you do to desensitize that helps?

Yeah, I'm willing too, but give me a week or two more so I can further play around with it then I'll report back here.