PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine/Health Questions

PhoenixStorm
01-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Has any cut caffeine out completely?
Tried.. but couldn't quit?
Or still drink caffeine?

I'm just curious what people have tried. Or what other changes have you made for your anxiety/depression?

justconfused
01-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Or still drink caffeine?

I'm just curious what people have tried. Or what other changes have you made for your anxiety/depression?

I completely quit cold turkey. I drink 100% juices like apple juice and grape juice. I make sure they are one hundred percent and have no artificial flavoring. All natural and no added sugar. I went 18 years without any thing but mello yello, pepsi, or whatever. Then I decided it was time to stop and I just made myself do it. I craved at first like crazy, but now I never want it, and when I did try it once after not drinking it for months it just tasted weird to me and I didn't want it anymore. I didn't stop it because of anxiety, though. Oddly enough I stopped it a few months before I had my first attack.

Ahlstrom
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
I was never a big coffee drinker anyways. I used to drink it at 6am before I went to a manual labor job. After I developed anxiety I've stayed away from caffeine, definitely not interested in what it might do.

AceParadox
01-25-2013, 12:00 AM
When I was recovering from anxiety, I had to cut caffiene completely for quite a while. Now that it has gone, I'm able to go back to it - but never in the excessive amount that I used to (had about 6 cans of pop minimum a day).

temperancebrennan
01-25-2013, 02:21 AM
I cut it out completely as it could trigger my symptoms or an attack. I used to drink a lot of diet coke & the occasional coffee from a shop, but I noticed I was feeling a lot more on edge afterwards.
I switched to decaf, camomile tea & juices / smoothies.

The only thing is, I now can't drink jägerbombs! Haha.

kerrielee
01-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Yep I quit caffeine & it's helped although I'm let myself have drinking chocolate. Yum

Cara1989
01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
I quit pop and everything chocolate Everything! And guess what its still here :/

adrenalyn
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
I used to drink Pepsi but the caffeine triggered anxiety so I weened off it by mixing half decaf Pepsi with the regular and gradually put more decaf until totally decaf... I tried cold turkey but got major headaches. I suppose you could do the same with coffee.

luke1990c
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
When I was recovering from anxiety, I had to cut caffiene completely for quite a while. Now that it has gone, I'm able to go back to it - but never in the excessive amount that I used to (had about 6 cans of pop minimum a day).

Ace paradox, have read that you have beat the anxiety and overcome it, how did you do it??

PhoenixStorm
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
I used to drink Pepsi but the caffeine triggered anxiety so I weened off it by mixing half decaf Pepsi with the regular and gradually put more decaf until totally decaf... I tried cold turkey but got major headaches. I suppose you could do the same with coffee.

I'm a huge coffee drinker but I don't drink a lot of soda maybe one or two a day.. maybe.. but I do get headaches from what I think is a lack of caffeine.. I don't know if its a trigger in its self for me

adrenalyn
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm a huge coffee drinker but I don't drink a lot of soda maybe one or two a day.. maybe.. but I do get headaches from what I think is a lack of caffeine.. I don't know if its a trigger in its self for me

Probably not a trigger for you if you can drink a lot of coffee...some people with anxiety can drink caffeinated beverages with no problem:) have you cut back on how much coffee you drink? If so it might be that headaches are from that.

PhoenixStorm
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Probably not a trigger for you if you can drink a lot of coffee...some people with anxiety can drink caffeinated beverages withvb no problem:) have you cut back on how much coffee you drink? If so it might be that headaches are from that.

I don't usually cut back.. but some days when I'm off my "routine" I drink less coffee.

sandyrdh1
01-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't usually cut back.. but some days when I'm off my "routine" I drink less coffee.

So what about caffeine free coke? Is it really caffeine free???

PhoenixStorm
01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
So what about caffeine free coke? Is it really caffeine free???

I don't know. Decaf coffee still has some caffeine in it

adrenalyn
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
I think all decaf products have a trace of caffeine in them, some more than others...I have found the one decaf coffee that does not bother me. Tea seems to have more caffeine in their decaf teas than coffees, always get jittery with decaf teas.

laurandisorder
01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
I was a caffeine addict. To he honest, I have been drinking diet coke for so long and in such quantities, I was probably immune to the effects of caffeine. In my late teens, I used to carry around a 1.25L bottle of diet coke - I even drank it whilst I was exercising! I also drink at least one proper (non instant coffee).

On my worst days, I would consume 2 x large skinny flat whites (500ml +) and at least a couple of liters of diet coke.

On my anxiety adventure, I have cut out caffeine twice in four years. Once for six months, once for three. I had to withdraw slowly because I was left with horrible headaches as soon as I would skip my morning coffee. I cut down over a period of two weeks.

As I did this when I was practically crippled by anxiety and multiple panic attacks each day, I honestly didn't really notice that much of a difference. I felt sluggish and deprived of my favourite beverage. And I was still very anxious. However, when I tried to drink coffee again - even instant coffee - I noticed instant increases in my anxiety and heart rate.

I am now a very cautious caffeine consumer. I gauge how I am feeling before deciding if my morning coffee should be regular or large. I don't guzzle it down quickly and I also have a solitary can of diet coke a day and I don't usually have caffeine after noon. I ensure I drink at least 2L of water a day. If I'm feeling anxious, out of sorts or nervous, I skip caffeine all together.

After quitting caffeine temporarily, I am now very sensitive to it, but it works as it should. I get some pep in the morning and at lunch. This being said, my anxiety has really not been too bad in the last few months, so it has had very little impact on my overall anxiety levels.

vakim78
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Or still drink caffeine?

I quit it completely once I learned it could trigger my anxiety. I did buy folgers decaf it say 98% caffeine free... It's Ben a month and I'm still scared to Ty it.... I miss my 2'cups a day :(. I've been meaning to post a post just like this. Because I want to know with my .25 mg of Xanax am able to drink the decaf?? Will the 2% caffeine still trigger it???

PhoenixStorm
01-26-2013, 08:19 AM
I quit it completely once I learned it could trigger my anxiety. I did buy folgers decaf it say 98% caffeine free... It's Ben a month and I'm still scared to Ty it.... I miss my 2'cups a day :(. I've been meaning to post a post just like this. Because I want to know with my .25 mg of Xanax am able to drink the decaf?? Will the 2% caffeine still trigger it???

I've thought about cutting back on coffee.. I drink probably a pot or more a day.. even if its no caffeine after noon or something but I don't know if I could quit completely. But I have been having problems in my ability to go to sleep and stay asleep so I've just been trying different things... I don't know what I would do in the morning without coffee! I'd probably have a nervous breakdown......... Yikes!

laurandisorder
01-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Why not give it a shot?

Cut down very slowly and see if it makes a difference - if you're struggling to sleep, I think you'll find it really, really helps. Perhaps use a time based approach because you will get withdraw if you don't have your morning cuppa.

Stop drinking caffeine beverages at 3:00pm, then 2:00 after a couple of days, then 1:00 and really monitor how you feel. You will be able to tell instantly whether it is helping your anxiety.

Sometimes I really crave a cup in the afternoon- especially if I'm exhausted after work, but I can trick myself with a decaf nespresso or caffeine free diet coke. Llp

PhoenixStorm
01-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Why not give it a shot?

Cut down very slowly and see if it makes a difference - if you're struggling to sleep, I think you'll find it really, really helps. Perhaps use a time based approach because you will get withdraw if you don't have your morning cuppa.

Stop drinking caffeine beverages at 3:00pm, then 2:00 after a couple of days, then 1:00 and really monitor how you feel. You will be able to tell instantly whether it is helping your anxiety.

Sometimes I really crave a cup in the afternoon- especially if I'm exhausted after work, but I can trick myself with a decaf nespresso or caffeine free diet coke. Llp

Thanks.. I'm gonna give it a try...