PDA

View Full Version : Fear of illness

marie86
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi, first time poster, never been on a forum but will try anything to help my anxiety!

I've suffered with anxiety for the last 3 years, I had a lot of stress in a short time, and it made me feel ill, but at the time I didn't know anxiety could make you feel sick - I just thought I was sick!

So now i have developed a fear of being sick, I've been managing it quite well up until all this talk on the news about norovirus... I'm terrified of it, I wash my hands a million times a day and cannot stop thinking about it. I feel anxious everyday and I really need my life back. I never go ok holiday, and find eating out very difficult!

Does anyone else have similar? Any tips for me?

ava-c
01-24-2013, 04:04 PM
I caught the flu last month from my family and it actually took my mind off my anxiety. I was worried about catching it when my brother came home with it but I never had to take a Ativan once during the two weeks I was in bed coughing out a lung. Crazy eh?

Mel-Mel
01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah I'm right there with you. I'm in college and living on campus is freaking me out with all the talk about the flu and seeing how many people are sick here. I'm constantly washing my hands and loading up on orange juice. In between worrying about classes and getting sick I've now had 2 panic attacks in probably 36 hours. Which is really major for me since I haven't had one in about 6 months.

I wish I had some tips to help you out but all I can do is tell you, you're definitely not alone in fearing getting sick.

vakim78
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Sickness, disease and death are always on my mind :(. It goes through my mind at least 4 times a day...

AceParadox
01-25-2013, 12:06 AM
During times of anxiety, fear of sickness was a biggie. Just a powerful headache would give me a panic attack because of "What it could turn into" or "What it COULD be" all those "What if's" blehh... It sucks. But hey, don't let it get in the way of you enjoying your life like eating out at a very good steakhouse. Washing your hands once before eating, and once after is fine at keeping germs away. Carry sanitizer. Take vitamin C supplements. But don't freak out about NOT getting sick or you will WORRY yourself sick. I found that if I worried about getting sick, I'd actually start feeling sick. Anxiety can fabricate false feelings and such and that is one of them.

Try and just get it down to washing your hands before eating, not a million times a day. That's not good for your skin.
Good luck :]

marie86
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys, I actually was sick last march, and it wasnt that bad, and I remember thinking 'its not that scary' but I seem to have relapsed recently, and can't seem to stop worrying, which gives me indigestion, which I mistake for feeling sick.... Etc. vicious cycle!!