PDA

View Full Version : Self help books?

temperancebrennan
01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
I've heard about people using self help books & having success with them. I've heard of The Linden Method, but I'm aware that it's quite pricey. I don't mind paying if it works.
I don't know where to start looking as there are so many to choose from.
Has anyone tried any self help books / DVDs & if so, have they worked?
I have to wait 10-12 weeks for CBT, so I'd like to see if I can help myself in the meantime.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you.

a l i c i a
01-23-2013, 07:16 PM
I love Lucinda Bassett. She's awesome. My psychologist has her CDs. I've only listened one so far. I'm reading her book right now too! I think it's called from panic to power!

adrenalyn
01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I am reading " Hope and help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes..it's an older book written in 1969 but has a lot of good advice and a technique developed by her..a good read. She explains in detail how the nervous system works when over sensitized as I think all of us anxiety suffers can relate.

PositiveThinking!
01-24-2013, 01:26 AM
I have read tons of self help books for anxiety and none helped, except for "Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder" by Fugen Neziroglu, that would only go for people who get DP/DR symptoms from anxiety though (obviously) , and by overcoming DP/DR my anxiety has become more bearable