PDA

View Full Version : Separation Anxiety

bobrob
05-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello....I'm Rob...I figured I would try telling my story to pass the time...as I will explain why. But first some background information..

I am currently a college student trying to find his way in life. I've picked a potential career but although enjoyable it does not look to be profitable. This causes me great anxiety at times as I have been relying on my parents and summer jobs to take care of my financial situation while in school.I have one year left in school to make a decision of whether or not to stick to the career or try something else (I always seem to be jumping to different career ideas). All I want in life is a decent income close to friends and family...but with my chosen career I may have to move out of state.

I have been in a relationship with a wonderful girl for nine months now and it has helped me greatly. We have spent countless days together over the past school year (so much so that unfortunately I cut off time spent with some of my buddies down here.)

However school has let out for the summer and this town has been left a ghost town. My two roommates (which have kept me company ) have left to go back home leaving me alone. I have also started a new job a week ago which has prevented me from visiting my good friends back home for the time being.

The first week 1/2 of being out of school was not too bad as my girlfriend was in town. However she left on a class trip to the carribean which she has been planning for several months. I will not have any verbal contact with her until she comes back 10 days later. I was greatly upset that I did not decide to go with her but I did not have the money and my summer job would not allow me to start three weeks later.

Once my girlfriend gets back she will start her summer job (she's in the same career field as I am which makes life difficult...because we have to be willing to take jobs in different areas). I will be on a trip on the week she gets in and I will arrive about 7 hours after she departs for her new job. However when she does start work she will only be over an hour's drive away.

I have found myself suffering greatly dealing with her abscense. I woke up early this morning and drove her to the airport. When I arrived I walked her in where we met the other people going on the trip. This made me somewhat upset and jealous as I felt left out as I listened to their conversations.

Unfortunately due to security reasons I could not accompany her to the gate so I decided to leave about 20 minutes after sitting with her (they would be departing soon for baggage check so i was not competley abandoning her) so I would not subject myself to becoming upset. She then walked me out and I gave her a kiss and hug goodbye.

On the way home I was very upset...dealing with the thought of her leaving. I kept finding reminders of her accross my apartment. To keep my mind of it I took an hour walk..hoping exercise would calm me down...it did help me for a bit. But the rest of the day I have found myself glued to the TV trying to rid myself of anxiety and depression. I have not eaten all day due to my anxiety. I also find myself going into a routine of watching tv, going on the internet and checking the same websites to keep my mind busy.

Her absense coupled with the fact everyone else I hung out with left has been difficult for me. I know it is completley unreasonable to be upset about her being gone for two weeks. You'd imagine something like this in children but not in a grown adult. I'm sure people in the military for example deal with the absense of their loved one for months at a time. I am trying to understand why I am having great anxiety over somethign most would consider not a great big deal.

I guess after spending time with her as much as I did and going cold turkey was a bit of a shock to me. We have spent time apart before but not with her being out of contact over a thousand miles away. I have never had such an anxiety attack before. My girlfriend noticed I was depressed about the situation...although she is sad she is not facing as much anxiety as me...then again she's going to a tropical paradise for the first time.

I have been trying to find several coping strategies. Hopefully work will keep my mind busy over the next week. But the new people I work with do not seem to be very conversational...they guy i've been working with mostly is verry quiet....which doesn't help. I've also been getting back into touch with some other people that I've not hung out with in a while that are still here...and trying to call friends and relatives back home. I may also try taking more walks around the area but that quickly proves to be boring and does not take up a big chunk of the day. I find myself already counting down the days until the fall semester begins and I can begin spending regular amounts of time with her. I guess I am just too attached to her.

Have any of you experienced somethign like this before? Does it seem highly unusual? I am sure that in the coming days I will become used to it...the first day is usually the most difficult. Thanks for letting me post this as it feels better to get it off my chest.