PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing about the Future

ikilledadragon
01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Does anybody else worry about what they are going to do in the future. I'm concerned whether I will stay in control of my life. Or if I will get a job. Or if I will be a loser. Or if I will find some place where I feel at home.

metallijim
01-21-2013, 02:22 AM
I used to always think like that. I turned that thought around on itself. I've set myself a goal. I turn 30 in June and there is a rock festival the weekend of my birthday. I booked my flights and tickets. I will not be letting anxiety keep me away from it. I find that this has made me so determined to beat this, I've made so much progress in the last 3 weeks. You just have to believe in yourself, KNOW that you WILL beat this. Anxiety is just a stupid little part of our lives, there is so much more to life than worrying about trivial things that ultimately can't and won't hurt you. I hope this helps you in some way

Anj
01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Does anybody else worry about what they are going to do in the future. I'm concerned whether I will stay in control of my life. Or if I will get a job. Or if I will be a loser. Or if I will find some place where I feel at home.

I am constantly thinking about the future. It's awful, because we often have very limited control anyway (depending on what it is you are obsessing about). I woke up early this morning (about 5am) worrying about how I will have to wake up at 5 for work tomorrow. I often get anxious thinking about the anxiety I may feel later in the day, or tomorrow, etc. I'm anxious over my anxiety!

What really stinks is that real life is NEVER as bad as my imagination makes it seem it is going to be. I always find my husband saying, "That wasn't so bad, was it?" While he knows that I suffer from anxiety, he still doesn't quite understand how my brain is constantly thinking of, and typically dreading the future.

hunn3yy
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I also freak and stress about my future and how the tiniest things now will affect my future such as a failed exam. It has gotten so bad so yah I completely get you.

metallijim
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
I discussed this at length at my CBT session today. The main point my therapist made was that, as much as I fixate on the future, wondering if it's going to go the way I want it to or if it's going to go completely wrong, that I should consider this: We fixate on this subject and it can drive us nuts BUT everyone in the world is in the same boat. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? EVERYONE has something to do tomorrow but NOBODY can say with 100% certainty what tomorrow holds. Unfortunately WE let this get on top of us while the rest of the world doesn't even consider this. I think it's quite funny that I hadn't come to this conclusion myself because it's quite obvious when you think about.