PDA

View Full Version : Going to the cinema

temperancebrennan
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm going to the cinema tonight & I'm worried that I'm going to feel panicky whilst I'm there. I am drinking camomile tea at the moment to try to calm myself beforehand, but I can't stop worrying that it's going to happen whilst I'm there & that I will need to leave. I'm already feeling anxious.
I have diazepam with me, but it will have to take time to kick in.
Any advice?

metallijim
01-20-2013, 12:03 PM
What is going to happen? You're in no danger at the cinema. You're going with friends I presume. Worst case scenario is you have a panic attack. I know it's not a good feeling but it's your body defending itself. I'm speaking from experience when I say this. I'm just getting over that irrational fear of doing anything outside but if you don't try you'll regret it. And IF you get panicky and IF you have to leave, then so what. It's nothing to be ashamed about. At least you tried and that's half the battle. Hope this helps you in some way and I hope you enjoy the movie :)

temperancebrennan
01-20-2013, 12:15 PM
I just don't want it to happen so I can enjoy the film.
I know the worst that can happen is a panic attack, but I don't want it to get to that stage. I find it difficult to ignore my symptoms when they happen.
Just miss feeling normal.

metallijim
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
We all want to feel normal again and we all find it difficult to ignore the symptoms but believe me you won't believe the confidence boost you will get from just trying. For me it was a realisation that 'Yes I can beat this and I'm going to fight it all the way'. It may sound clíched but it's the truth.

jhunter89
01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
What film is it? :) I'm sure you'll be fine. Hope u get to enjoy the movie!

temperancebrennan
01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Seeing Les Mis.
I'm here now waiting for it to start. So far, so good.
I have my diazepam in case I get too bad.
Thanks for your replies.

laura84
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Let us know what the film is like :-)

metallijim
01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
I heard it's great, enjoy :)

moonchild1986
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Well done for going. I know how hard it is to sit in a cinema believe me.

temperancebrennan
01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I stayed through the whole film. I felt anxious & shaky & dry mouthed throughout though so I couldn't completely enjoy it as much as I'd have liked to.
I'm home now & still trying to calm down.

metallijim
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Well done, I'm glad you stayed. I hope it has given you a bit more confidence. Obviously you'll be anxious but you did it and that's what matters. It's a huge achievement :)

dazza
01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I stayed through the whole film. I felt anxious & shaky & dry mouthed throughout though so I couldn't completely enjoy it as much as I'd have liked to.
I'm home now & still trying to calm down.

I shouldn't laugh, but... LOL

You gotta see the funny side of anxiety disorder, in that, we can't even watch a film or shower without freaking pmsl.

One of my worst attacks was in the cinema. My heart beat so fast & hard I reckon it was smacking the back of the head of the person in front :-D

I had to leave half way through. Felt like shit by the time I'd got out into the open.

Bad times, lol

temperancebrennan
01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you.
I rarely stop myself from going places because I'm going to have symptoms or an attack whether I'm at home or not. Just sometimes when I am out, it gets to the point where I feel like I need to get away & go home.
I want to learn to get better. I'm getting my blood test results in the next couple of days. Also going to wait a few more weeks for my medication to kick in.
I only tend to worry about my symptoms & having a panic attack. Once the symptoms kick in, it's hard to think about anything else & I want to learn how to think of other things.

metallijim
01-20-2013, 06:50 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I don't think there is a real way to ignore or forget about the symptoms. I think you have to meet them head on. When I'm out and feels the anxiety start to build I just think 'so what'. I'm just getting my head round to this way of thinking and it's working. IF I feel it getting beyond a controllable level I sit down for a few minutes and relax my breathing. If I'm in a crowded place I tend to move just out of that area and get myself together. I won't lie it takes practice but it's achievable.