PDA

View Full Version : Boredom

PositiveThinking!
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I've always been a person that doesn't really enjoy going out, mainly because of my anxiety, I found that being home on my computer was the best way to go, yet we know it's not and lately I've been feeling extremely bored as I can't go outside, first of all because I had a hernia repair surgery not too long ago, and second because it's too cold outside, not to mention I don't really have anywhere to go.

Do you ever find yourself in a deep state of boredom and unable to do anything? If you do, how do you cope with it?

Saldav
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
I've always been a person that doesn't really enjoy going out, mainly because of my anxiety, I found that being home on my computer was the best way to go, yet we know it's not and lately I've been feeling extremely bored as I can't go outside, first of all because I had a hernia repair surgery not too long ago, and second because it's too cold outside, not to mention I don't really have anywhere to go.

Do you ever find yourself in a deep state of boredom and unable to do anything? If you do, how do you cope with it?

Black ops 2

dazza
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Black ops 2

Great game - but I finished it in 6 hours :-\

Saldav
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Great game - but I finished it in 6 hours :-\

@ dazza, Do u play online?

PositiveThinking!
01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Games used to make me feel distracted, but that's exactly my problem at the moment, I've tried to run away from my problems for too long by playing games and that does not work anymore... I find that playing guitar helps a damn lot, yet I don't think I can play at night without having my neighbours complaining haha

Saldav
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Games used to make me feel distracted, but that's exactly my problem at the moment, I've tried to run away from my problems for too long by playing games and that does not work anymore... I find that playing guitar helps a damn lot, yet I don't think I can play at night without having my neighbours complaining haha

I wish I knew how to play guitar

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Yup. I know this feeling. I'm not scared about going out, I just have nowhere to go. My 3 best friends live together & they tend to do stuff themselves & have other things going on. I don't really interact with my housemates as we don't have anything in common & I don't know them very well.
I end up in my room watching the same DVDs over & over again (the Freeview on my tv doesn't work)
Lately I've started reading more, which I think helps because I can just escape into a different place & I find that I don't think about anything else around me (symptoms, other thoughts etc) so it calms me down.

PositiveThinking!
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Yup. I know this feeling. I'm not scared about going out, I just have nowhere to go. My 3 best friends live together & they tend to do stuff themselves & have other things going on. I don't really interact with my housemates as we don't have anything in common & I don't know them very well.
I end up in my room watching the same DVDs over & over again (the Freeview on my tv doesn't work)
Lately I've started reading more, which I think helps because I can just escape into a different place & I find that I don't think about anything else around me (symptoms, other thoughts etc) so it calms me down.

I was never really that much into books, bought one a month or two ago and it ended up in the bookshelf a few days later, as for the movies I have a terrible problem, which is that I only like horror movies and to be fair nothing decent has come up in the last few months

lamman
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
listening to music in bed with eyes closed works for me. lately I want to keep myself active so I started learning how to cook, plus I get a proper feed too. lol.

I meant to watch The Possession as I heard it was based on a true story. not sure if that's any good?

Ahlstrom
01-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I played World of Warcraft for around 5 or 6 years... That will slay your boredom.

Trying to play guitar more

Cara1989
01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Playing computer games took my mind off anxiety but when I didn't play I felt worse lol I was reallyy addicted to the computer for like 3 years I bearly slept maybe that's why I have anxiety lol

dazza
01-16-2013, 04:19 AM
Playing computer games took my mind off anxiety but when I didn't play I felt worse lol I was reallyy addicted to the computer for like 3 years I bearly slept maybe that's why I have anxiety lol

I think there's a point worth highlighting here...

I reckon computers, or rather the excessive use of, is probably largely to blame for many people's anxiety.

Computers are drastically changing the way we live our lives.

e.g.

1. they make us lazy
2. they keep us up all night (sufring / playing games / social sites)
3. most of us work with them all day
4. we're sitting, often with poor postures for many, many hours a day
5. we watch stuff we shouldn't really be watching (LOL)
6. they cause RSI (which I reckon was partly to blame for the beginning of my anxiety... an intense, electric shock feeling up the left arm one night)

I'm sure there are many other bad points.

temperancebrennan
01-16-2013, 07:25 AM
I was never really that much into books, bought one a month or two ago and it ended up in the bookshelf a few days later, as for the movies I have a terrible problem, which is that I only like horror movies and to be fair nothing decent has come up in the last few months

What book was it? For me, if it's a good book, then it's like watching a film in my head haha.
You're right about no food horrors being out lately though. My all time favourites are Rec & Silence of the lambs. Nothing will ever compare.

PositiveThinking!
01-16-2013, 07:40 AM
listening to music in bed with eyes closed works for me. lately I want to keep myself active so I started learning how to cook, plus I get a proper feed too. lol.

I meant to watch The Possession as I heard it was based on a true story. not sure if that's any good?
Listening to music is probably one of the few things that still helps to be honest! I have that movie on my computer yet I still didn't feel like watching it, maybe I should and see if it's anything good

I played World of Warcraft for around 5 or 6 years... That will slay your boredom.

Trying to play guitar more
I do play WoW, have played for years, I just feel like computers no longer satisfy me at all, not to mention that Blizzard died since late Cataclysm, the end game content is just so bleh

Yup the computer was sort of a way to escape my troubles in life, yet it has made my life even harder, the anxiety has grown a lot

What book was it? For me, if it's a good book, then it's like watching a film in my head haha.
You're right about no food horrors being out lately though. My all time favourites are Rec & Silence of the lambs. Nothing will ever compare.
I was reading "11/22/63" by Stephen King, the book was good to be honest but my mind wanders off way too much when reading books, it's nearly impossible for me to read one :(

As for the movies yeah I really feel like no decent movies came out lately, and I don't really have favourites since I've watched tons of them, half of them were pretty good

laurandisorder
01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
I definitely think that excessive computer use is to blame for a lot of mental health issues. I'm pretty much a Call of Duty widow at the moment and when I found out that my partner had played over 6 days worth of the game (or around 20 hours a week) whilst being unemployed, I was about ready to throttle him!! If he spent 20 hours a week looking for work, or even studying or volunteering, I'm pretty sure he'd have a job by now.

That being said, I am so glad for my smartphone as a distraction in times of high stress!!

Reading whilst mostly a good escape from the real world, can also raise my anxiety. When I get to the end of a book, or a series of books, I get sooooo depressed and I don't know what to do with myself. This Christmas break I have devoured the Gone series by Michael Grant and I was beside myself when I finished the fifth (and penultimate) book.

I guess I get a bit obsessive about my pastimes! This holiday break I have also watched the DVDs if Community at least three times through (seasons 1-3). I think this binge-style approach to activities could be related to my old eating disorders. Can anyone else relate?

dazza
01-16-2013, 08:42 AM
I guess I get a bit obsessive about my pastimes! This holiday break I have also watched the DVDs if Community at least three times through (seasons 1-3). I think this binge-style approach to activities could be related to my old eating disorders. Can anyone else relate?

Maybe this is related, but I get quite obsessive with whatever hobby I maybe doing at the time.

For the past few years I've been into creating computer animations. Mainly cartoony.
My creative side endulged me and I'd end up spending hours, upon hours of my spare time doing this... often until VERY late at night and then first thing in the morning.
NOT GOOD.

My obsession seems to be driven by 3, major factors:

1/ I NEED to be good. I don't believe anything is worth doing unless it's done well.

2/ I get so engrossed that the hobby becomes priority over everything. This is because I love it so.

3/ I feed off other people's enjoyment of what I've created. I get great pleasure & satisfaction in someone saying... "wow, that's great!"

This was all while I was living alone, however. I'm now (recently) moved in with t'other 'arf and we're expecting a baby in Feb, so I'm having to change my ways.
I DO wonder if me knowing of this impending change was partly to blame for my anxiety, actually. In fact... I'm pretty sure it was.

lamman
01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Listening to music is probably one of the few things that still helps to be honest! I have that movie on my computer yet I still didn't feel like watching it, maybe I should and see if it's anything good

watch it on 1080p. I haven't watched horror for a long time since the Ring, this one does the trick too. lol.

PositiveThinking!
01-22-2013, 08:50 PM
watch it on 1080p. I haven't watched horror for a long time since the Ring, this one does the trick too. lol.

Alright :P