PDA

View Full Version : Hi - Anxiety While Driving

MaryTyler
05-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I usffer from anxiety when drivng especially when I have to drive on bridges. especially a long bridge over water - terrifies me just thinking about it.
Anyone out there who knows what Im experiencing?

Atmospheric Lavatories
07-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi Mary,

I had that for about six months, for no apparent reason. My advice is to drive as much as you can, on your own. Specifically head towards somewhere that makes you feel anxious, wait until the road's really busy, and go for it. You'll be fine, and the more times you do this, the better you'll feel.

Nick

LaurieDawn
07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Greetings, Mary,

Just wanted to let you know that I have that too. So you are not alone. I used to drive all over the place, cross country, anyplace I could and now I barely drive. I avoid it at all costs, but someone told me that the best thing was to drive, and in traffic, out of traffic, city roads, country roads, and I haven't been able to do that as of yet.

IF you have any tips on coping, please let me know!! I would more than welcome anything....I have done that too, holding holds with someone, having someone drive with me for support, but there is not always someone there, and I would love to have my driving back!!!

Good Luck.
Laurie

dedlus
08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi,
I didn't drive for 6 months cause my anxiety attacks were too bad. The blurred vision and vertigo expecially scarred my the most. Eventually I started driving places that I felt comfortable. The first time I drove around my crescent. The next time would just add on more miles everytime I drove till I felt secure. It is the most fearfull feeling in the world and it will take time, but eventually you just have to take a deep breath and say "I CAN DO THIS"!!!
I still am suffering from anxiety attacks today. It has been almost 3 yrs since my first attack and they don't stop me from driving anymore but they do stop me from a lot of other things :?