PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone-New to the Group

Iwood
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Hello,
I wanted to post something and see what types of responses I got from the board.

My background:

I have always been on and off with OCD (hand washing-checking to make sure doors are locked-and a weird one always checking to make sure I didn't back over anyone when backing up). I also have had bouts of random weird thoughts that would get stuck in my head for a week or 2.

At the age of 15 I started smoking cigarettes and at 16 marijuana. Basically for the next 14 years I would either smoke weed or drink alchohol. I also became a pack a day smoker around the age of 20. I am now 30 and 6 months ago quit cigarettes, coffee and marijuana. I quit because I ended up in the hospital with what I thought was a heart attack from working out but it was just dehydration (oh you mean I shouldn't have had an extra large coffee and smoked a half a pack of cigs before going to the gym?) I do still have 2-3 beers a couple times a week but not the 12 pack a day I did during college.

When I smoked after the hospital I got panic attacks because my heart would race, then I got them because I was quitting. I said screw it and quit. Then about 2 months into the quit I thought I had COPD because when I am at rest it is sometimes tough to breath. I went to a astham doctor who said-you might have mild asthma, pulmonolgist said-if you can exercise you don't have asthma and a cardiologist who said-see you in 20 years.

I started walking everyday and taking herbal supplements to help and it did. I felt pretty good at about the 3 month mark. I then messed up 2 months ago and smoked a couple cigars and cigarettes and the shortness of breath and anxiety has been with me since. I recently drove from philadlephia to little rock and had a couple mini-anxiety episodes but nothing to bad (one was a delayed reaction from driving in an ice storm). The trip kind of screwed with my bathroom schedule and exercise.

Whenver I feel a cramp or anything in my chest the first thought is OMG am I ok? Yes, you are ok. Had a heart palpation and instant anxiety. Anxiety about anxiety. Anxiety about the shortness of breath etc.I have been seeing a counselor and she has told me it is definitely anxiety. I went to the doctor today during the pre exam the PA asked if I had a heart murmur before. Then the doctor came in and listend to me and I was fine. He also said I am fine to exercise (6'4 200lbs). He said it might not hurt to try lexapro but I am scared of the side effects.

Sorry this is so long- I guess what I am wondering is: 1-is the shortness of breath an anxiety or a quitting smoking issue. 2-chest cramps-working out, not going #2 enough or anxiety. 3-Is it time for me to try the medicine or can I beat this with exercise and herbal products? 4. Chest tightness and palpatations anxiety as well?

Really appreciate your time reading this and thanks in advance for any responses.

Ian

SunnieDebris
01-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Sorry this is so long- I guess what I am wondering is: 1-is the shortness of breath an anxiety or a quitting smoking issue. 2-chest cramps-working out, not going #2 enough or anxiety. 3-Is it time for me to try the medicine or can I beat this with exercise and herbal products? 4. Chest tightness and palpatations anxiety as well?

Really appreciate your time reading this and thanks in advance for any responses.

Ian

Hey there, and welcome! I'm not a doctor, but my wife and mother-in-law both smoked and they experienced the opposite when they quit. Shortness of breath is a symptom of anxiety, so my best guess is that the shortness of breath is anxiety. As for the cramps, are you feeling or experiencing constipation? If so, you can Miralax to your diet to even that out. Otherwise, I'd say the chest cramps are also anxiety. So are the heart palpitations and chest tightness. My suggestion is to give the medication a try. Give it 6-12 weeks to see if it makes a difference. Keep a log daily so that you can detect changes that may not be overly evident day to day.