PDA

View Full Version : First time with a psychiatrist... what to expect?

rapsodya
01-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Hello! My name is Gabby and I'm new in this forum. The reason why I joined was because 1) My dermatologist suggested me to see a psychiatrist + 2) I really want to connect with other people who suffer anxiety so we can help each other.

As I mentioned it before, my dermatologist suggested me to see a psychiatrist. I suffer from acne and I manipulate it because of my anxiety attacks. I'm terrified to go with a see a psychiatrist. I know it's for my own good, but I want to be sure what to expect and is there anything I can do to be prepared and don't waste time. I've seen 2 psychologist previously, so I'm wondering how the sessions would differ.

I also think I might have OCD, should I mention it?

SunnieDebris
01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey, Gabby, and welcome. The session with the psychiatrist may be very similar to your previous appointments with psychologists. It just depends on the personal style of each of them. You might want to write down the things you want to work on, and ask what you can expect from each session. A psychiatrist can also match you with some medical intervention, if you are open to that. My suggestion would be to keep an open mind about it.

kasiejuhnay
01-10-2013, 10:00 PM
The most important thing is to relax...or try to. When I went the first time I knew we would be talking about all of the things that bothered me...the things I try to forget about...and I was so anxious.