PDA

View Full Version : Amxiety ruining college

moonchild1986
01-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Long story short ive had anxiety/ panic attacks since I was 12. I'm now 26. I had to quit school because of severe panic attacks. Few years down the line I got better. Well I managed them. I decided to go college. I'm in my final year and guess what. They're back !!!!

I really don't want to quit. I don't know what to do. I've worked so hard. :(

SunnieDebris
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Hey, moonchild, and welcome! I'm sorry that you are having such a tough time right now. What have you done in the past to manage them?

phoenix1
01-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Really sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad at the moment. I think one of the things with anxiety is that it is not always consistent and its when we step out, that it seems to come and bite us. May I be so bold as to suggest seeing the college counsellor, or perhaps going back to your gp. You may find that the college can give you consessions towards your grade as you are carrying a mental health issue. Finally, if it gets that bad, you may be able to suspend your time on the course and come back to it when you are feeling better.

I have found it useful to get into the habit of examining alternatives, and am now waiting for my crb form to start volunteering at my local Mind organisation.
You may find that jotting down any positive thoughts or ideas could prove useful.

Please keep your chin up and I hope that something of what I have suggested could prove useful.

All the best for the future. Joe

moonchild1986
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey thanks for replying. In the past I guess I forgot about it. Seems impossible now though. I'm guessing its stress as I'm applying for uni.
I'm currently waiting to start CBT.
I try talking to my tutors but they just don't understand. They tend to shrug the problem of (if that makes sense)
My main symptom is feeling unreal. Dizzy and breathless. Oh and shaky. When it's really bad I get these twitches in my neck. I had to walk out of class today :(

Ritch
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey Moonchild,

I am in a similar situation; I have had to leave university due to a combination of ADHD and Anxiety/panic so I can relate to your situation. I also like yourself just tried to forget about my anxiety and hoped that if I didn't pay it attention that it would just disappear but unfortunately it doesn't. Out of interest does your college not have support services in place for people with mental health problems and disability's? If they do I would advise going to see them and explaining the difficulties you are having, perhaps they could have a chat with your college tutors and put some support in place if you think it would helpful.

I agree that the sudden onset of panic attacks may be related to the pressure of applying for university as this is a very stressful process. I really hope that you manage to get through your college course successfully, however if you don't you could always go back. I know you probably won’t want to hear this but sometimes we have to concentrate on ourselves instead of our education (I am learning this lesson the hard way). I think the important thing to remember is that anxiety is beatable and that is something I will personally tell myself until I have conquered it.

I also definitely agree with phoenix. I would seek help from my gp and request some sort of therapy such as cognitive behavioural therapy or cognitive analytical therapy. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated.

Ritch

j2005
01-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Don't give up...keep going to class and work through this!

James

moonchild1986
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Update * I've increased my meds and its a little easier however the anxiety is still there. I keep getting bad derealization (spelling?) I'm rather worried about my absence I've been having. What would I give to be free of this illness !!

phoenix1
01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Well. It's good that you feel a little bit better. It's a shame you still feel so bad though. It maybe useful to start thinking of what you intend to do when you have finished you course. This might seem a bit odd, given how you feel now, but it is a useful way of refocusing your thoughts. It involves thinking forward, and its a way of being open to the possibility of being successful. Keep your chin up and remember we are all here for you. Joe.