PDA

View Full Version : Conquered a fear today!

laurandisorder
01-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Well. For the first time in almost 2 years, I made it through a movie with no anxiety!!!

I went to see The Life of Pi with my partner and I was soooo on edge and nervous before hand. I had about 3 hours of sleep last night worrying about it and what would happen if I had an attack in the theatre. I booked seats so we were on an aisle and it was just an amazing experience.

Theatre settings create situational anxiety for me, the darkness, the surround sound, even the 3D all set me off because I am so hypersensitive. We made an exit strategy and well, not only did I survive, I loved the film too.

I majored in screen at Uni and love movies so this is really major for me. I just got a little bit of my life back.

PanicCured
01-08-2013, 03:13 AM
Great! Now do this kind of facing fears stuff more and more. Keep doing it until you see nothing can happen. Just deal with it and you will feel so good after! Great to hear you were strong!

dazza
01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
LOL... one of my worst panic attacks was in a cinema. I completely concur with the "situational anxiety".

My all time worst panic attack of all time was in a space-ship simulator at Disney world.
There's all the kids loving it and there's me... absolutely shitting myself with anxious fear. Pale of face, wide of eye, fast of heart rate...

Couldn't feckin' breath by the time I'd got out, and worst still... I got out into the blazing heat, right in the middle of a parade.

Genuinely thought I had minutes to live.

God, you gotta laugh pmsl

Tomn
01-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Congrats on the victory! Avoiding anxiety-causing situations accomplishes nothing, sometimes you gotta just go for it.

laurandisorder
01-08-2013, 04:50 AM
It's amazing how little kids can love stuff that almost gives me a heart attack; amusement park rides, movies, air travel. On my most recent flight (15mg of Valium deep) we arrived too early at our destination and flew over the airport over the ocean. A little boy screams in delight 'Daddy, we're going to land in the sea!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!' - I almost pooped myself.

Makes me sad too - I used to love this stuff once upon a time!

My next two challenges are concerts; Soundwave - all my favourite bands are playing (A Perfect Circle, Garbage, Tomahawk, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for My Valentine, Metallica + a million more awesome bands) - its an outdoor concert, which should be cool. and then Deftones, who will be indoors. The bass always seems to rattle my heart in my ribcage! But I know I can do it. It does help to have the support of other people like you lot and my partner and family.

trinidiva
01-08-2013, 05:19 AM
It's amazing how little kids can love stuff that almost gives me a heart attack; amusement park rides, movies, air travel. On my most recent flight (15mg of Valium deep) we arrived too early at our destination and flew over the airport over the ocean. A little boy screams in delight 'Daddy, we're going to land in the sea!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!' - I almost pooped myself.

Makes me sad too - I used to love this stuff once upon a time!

My next two challenges are concerts; Soundwave - all my favourite bands are playing (A Perfect Circle, Garbage, Tomahawk, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for My Valentine, Metallica + a million more awesome bands) - its an outdoor concert, which should be cool. and then Deftones, who will be indoors. The bass always seems to rattle my heart in my ribcage! But I know I can do it. It does help to have the support of other people like you lot and my partner and family.

Lol..I had to laugh at the little boy's comment to his father about landing in the sea, I would of silently freaked out too. Lololol.
I am really happy for you!!! The small steps and accomplishments really do mean a lot...and gives us pleasant glimpses into our former lives, before the anxiety hit. Keep it up...perhaps make a list of small things you would like to accomplish.

dazza
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Now see if you can handle Texas Chainsaw Massacre... :-D

mw0929
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
That's awesome! Little steps towards a huge goal!!

vakim78
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Lol!!! I'm sorry I laughed about the little boys comment too and ur reaction. That would of been so me! I'm scared of everything. Planes, heights, clubs, bad weather, death, illness, loss, everything scares me

trinidiva
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Lol!!! I'm sorry I laughed about the little boys comment too and ur reaction. That would of been so me! I'm scared of everything. Planes, heights, clubs, bad weather, death, illness, loss, everything scares me

Me too....I'm an equal opportunity phobiholic......lol.....