PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

brickyard_red
09-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi

I've stuggled with shyness all my life it seems. But as I get older it isn't just shyness anymore. I feel panicky almost all the time when doing something by myself. Unless I have my husband, family memeber or a close friend with me I can rarely go out by myself.

It is really frustrating because I work at a nursery school and am fine with the children. But my heart pounds when the parents come to pick them up and I'm always afraid that they are going to be mad over something that I did or said.

I can't drive on the expressway, downtown or to places that I don't know where I'm going. I won't cross traffic, make a left hand turn. I will sit at home and plot out how I'm going to drive somewhere without having to do the left turn thing. If I absolutely have to make a left hand turn to get somewhere, I will go a route that I can make it at a stop light with an arrow.

The thing about all this that I don't understand really is I can talk on the computer fine, but get me face to face with someone and I freeze up and don't have a clue as to what to say. Go figure.

O.k., so after writing all that down I make myself out to sound like a person in really bad shape! lol

Some things about me are I like to bake and cook. My husband is a much better cook than I am and I have to be "in the mood" to really do a good job at cooking. But I can bake all day long.

I like to cross stitch, sew, read books, swim, roller blade ( as long as my husband is there with me) and ride bikes with my hubby. I am very blessed to have a husband who may not understand my fears all the time, but is very supportive and tries to help me as best he can.

So, that is me. I'm glad I signed up here and hope to make friends and to be able to talk about my fears with you all and to be able to listen to you also. Thank you.

Cath

Bridgie
09-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi Cath! Welcome to the forum! I can completely relate to what you are going through. It sounds just like me and my husband!

You are even braver though since you can drive! When I used to be able to drive some, I was so phobic of any kind of bridges that I would also plan out my route so I didn't have to go over any, or even any overpasses. If I absolutely HAD to go over one, I would count out loud to myself the amount of fear I was feeling, 10 being the highest. When I was half way over the bridge, I would be like at a 5, then I knew it was all downhill from there.

Now I can drive like 2 blocks, that is IF I take a pill to calm me down! LOL!

I think it's great that you found us!

shoe
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Cath, sorry for the late welcome, I'm having difficulty keeping up with this forum and other things I do, so I miss a few things now and then. I'm glad there are others here like Bridge (and the other members too!) who do help out by contributing to the forum and making it more of a community :)

Thats great about the nursery school job Cath, I love kids as I'm sure you do too.. its a shame you have anxiety but at least it doesnt happen while your with them :)

brickyard_red
09-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Thank you bridgie and shoe. And shoe don't feel bad, I didn't expect anyone to say anything. lol I was just saying hi. I'm surprised to have gotten a response from you two actually. lol Thank you for making me feel welcome here. :) I'm sure we'll all become good friends here. It's a nice safe place where we can all come and know that we won't be made fun of or called freaks and where we know we'll be understood. :) Kind of like "Cheers", the old tv show. LOL :lol: