PDA

View Full Version : The cure.

StaceyEaster93
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
The cure to getting yourself rid of anxiety is to face your fears. live as normal life as you can and face things that you would normally feel uncomfortable doing. there is no miracle cure or tablet that will heal you. it may do for short term, but not for long term. the only thing that will get you better is yourself. you are your own worst enemy. all anxiety is, is a feeling. yes, a horrible feeling, but if you don't put yourself in the situations where you feel anxiety, then you will never get rid of it. in fact, you will make it worse. let the feelings happen instead of tensing up, tell yourself that it is just anxiety and that it will soon pass. this is the only way. I know that it's easier said than done, but if you don't try and do this then you will always be tense and frightened of the feelings. I seriously recommend the book 'At Last A Life' if you haven't read it then buy it and read it. it is amazing. I suffer with anxiety and suffered really bad, but this book is helping me already and making me feel so much more positive. I just hope that people read this and take it in x

mellymel
01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
So true! :)

AnxietyInstituteSA
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
I totally agree with your outlook on anxiety. In most therapies for anxiety treatment, avoidance of anxiety-provoking situations is seen as enabling. Exposure to the anxiety provoking situation, whatever it is (public speaking, spiders, germs, excersing in public, etc.), helps a person's anxiety over time. We call this systematic desensitization; its a slow, calculated practice of engaging in the feared activity with the result of a gradual lessening of fear/anxiety.

Sounds like its worked for you and created a whole new outlook on life!

Sarah_Rose
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
I do agree that the more you just deal with anxiety, the easier it is to overcome it. To face your fears... However, I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting), which I have gotten better at dealing with. But it isn't a "face your fears" kind of fear. I have been sick multiple times since I started this fear. But it doesn't matter how many times I vomit, I still get very anxious when I have come in contact with someone that is sick...