PDA

View Full Version : Is any of this NORMAL?

winnwinn
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I went to the DR and was told that I have the FLU, not just a cold, but the full-blown, 105-degree-temp, can-barely-move-at-all-flu. I haven't been able to get much rest because i need to be alert for my 5 year old. My husband was sweet enough to try to limit his time at work to be able to help as much as possible. I have a history of severe anxiety, and because of it, I am unable to take anything to relieve my flu symptoms. I'm doing everything I can herbal to help like use throat drops, honey, etc, but being diabetic, i am also limited. The worse part is for about the last 4 months now, I have successfully weened myself off of a benzo that i was addicted to. Addiction is a horrible thing and i didn't want to be tied to it. It was my former doctor who never told me that taking the benzo like clock work would cause dependency, and once i learned this, it was too late. Anyway, I've been successfully 4 months without it, and i had been feeling great. When this flu hit, my dormant anxiety hit the roof. I was shaking uncontrollably, my heart raced, my thoughts raced and i had this generalized scared feeling. Since the start of the flu 3 days ago. I've taken 2 doses of the beno, which have not helped. To make matters worse, I've started a crazy diet on the 1st which i am determined to stick to AND I've attempted giving up smoking. I'd been 4 days without a cigarette until today when I lit up. I know it's not the end of the world, everyone has set backs, and it doesn't mean that I'm not going to quit, but i feel very upset with myself. Who lights up when they can barely breathe anyway? It DID help settle my nerves some, and as horrible as it sounds, I'd rather TEMPORARILY smoke than become dependent on a benzo again. The icing on the cake is i had a family member pass way on the 1st. In a few days I have to travel about 2 hours from where i live to attend a funeral, and i'm stressed out about feeling better in time. :-( Has anyone else had these problems or issues while sick? I apologize for the long post and any misspellings, all the keys look the same when it feels like your brain is baking.

alankay
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
When you're sick of course you're anxious. Don't you think your anxiety was there in your personality all along but only manifests itself when stressed? Given the situation, you may need a benzo.... once in a while. Maybe not. Smoking may help on a low level but I bet you'l pull through after your flu resolves.
Yes at 105 degrees, you likely have a common virus. Low fevers are usually from bacteria. Alankay