PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Cold Meds

1Goofy1
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Is anyone else apprehensive about taking cold meds or other things when your sick?
I have the worst cold I have had in years and the only relief I get is with cold meds but I don't know what is worse, the not being able to breath and think straight without the meds or the silly fears that go through my head when I do take them.
Any one else have the kinds of problems?

captainkitty
01-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Ugh I was in your position not too long ago, couldn't decide whether or not to take medication or suffer. I ended up taking some because I could not breathe at all at night which I thought was worse than the anxiety. I tried to go the natural route though by drinking lots of fluids, eating healthy etc.. and I ended up getting better in no time :)

helplessinseattle
01-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Just don't take anything that contains pseudoephedrine. It's a stimulant and is used as a decongestant but can and will trigger anxiety. Ask your pharmacist to help you find cold meds that don't contain this.

Sarah_Rose
01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
I made the mistake of taking pseudo ephedrine when I had a cold once... Big mistake! Won't do that again! Now I use a neti pot or saline nose sprays to help with nasal congestion. Hope that helps.

AnxietyInstituteSA
01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
As the others have said, avoid the decongestants and take an antihistamine instead.

Benadryl, although an antihistamine, can also exacerbate anxiety for some. For some it makes them tired and sluggish, and for others, it makes them hyper and feel high. Some just feel normal with no side effects. Just another medication to use with caution.

helplessinseattle
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
For sure. And benadryl's not a decongestant anyway so not worth the risk for cold symptoms. Won't help.