PDA

View Full Version : Night time anxiety......frustrated!

Jconley
01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
So I'm laying in bed, just trying to relax and of course the palpitations have to start up. It's so frustrating because I know that I'm gonna have trouble sleeping and because of the palps, my anxiety is ramped up. I have the chills now and just that general uneasy feeling. It seems like I haven't been too bad all day long and now this. Ugh! How is everyone else at night? Do you all have this issue too? Is it this frustrating for you?

shell11
01-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Hi ... I know how you feel !!! I have anxiety at night as well and I know it's hard to deal with it as well ... I feel so alone when it occurs and find this website very useful when Im awake all alone ... If you get this I'm on here when I'm awake at night and you can always pm me and we can chat !!!

acetone
01-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Mine is also generally worst at nights.

dazza
01-03-2013, 05:48 AM
I went through a phase of bed-time palps. I could feel the fear building as bed-time approached and guaranteed that my ticker would do a wobbly as soon as I got in bed.

The problem is fear by association. I.e. you end up associating bed-time with fear and symptoms, which self-fulfills the prophecy, each and every feckin' night.

It eventually subsides as you grow with the disorder. You learn that it is your wondering, anxious mind that is the problem and not bed-time.

At the time I was living alone, but found myself driving to my partners house for comfort on many occasions... sometimes way into the early hours.
I shudder when I think of it now.

I can only suggest the following:

1/ Anti anxiety medication just before bed-time (e.g. Diazepam or other benzo)

2/ Knacker yourself out as much as possible (such that you fall asleep quickly rather than lie there thinking). A long walk or exercise about an hour or two before bed is a good idea.

3/ Avoid caffeine and other energy foods long before bed-time

4/ Try watching TV in bed

5/ Lay on your right side. Yeah, this one's a weird one, but during times of high anxiety your heart is very vulnerable / sensitive to external influences. Laying on your left side
can cause chest tissue / muscles, lungs, etc. to partially crush your heart, which can "tickle" it, causing palps.
Perfectly OK under normal circumstances, but a definite, possible influence for palp. sufferers.

6/ As you climb into bed and get comfy, try to stay visually focused on objects around the room (such that you stay distracted).
I found that simply looking at stuff helped me settle in.

7/ Once settled in, try to think of either NOTHING or only good stuff. Hard, I know...

8/ I had a fan on next to my bed. The noise & breeze was somewhat comforting.

ens22108
01-03-2013, 07:57 AM
I get them at night all the time and it keeps me up all night. I know it's my anxiety but it still bothers me and I get worse and can't sleep. I just sit on my phone til I get so tired I pass out.

dazza
01-03-2013, 08:16 AM
I get them at night all the time and it keeps me up all night. I know it's my anxiety but it still bothers me and I get worse and can't sleep. I just sit on my phone til I get so tired I pass out.

Sit on your phone!?

Mind you don't break it...

ens22108
01-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Sit on your phone!?

Mind you don't break it...

Lol not literally. I am on my phone all night

Mariesa00
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I'd recommend going into another room and reading a book. It's better for you to associate your bed with sleep than worry. :)