PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with counseling!

Shyaamist
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
My gp has been prescribing my xanax, zoloft etc for me. Today we were talking about the fact that I don't have any control over my anxiety. I told her I have been reading and learning and changing my diet (as little caffeine as possible) etc and it still isn't working. So she says its time to find a counselor. The problem is, I have yet to meet one that I actually trust!

When I was 16 I went to see one at my dad's work (because through his insurance, he got so many visits free). I found out later that he went and repeated everything to my mother! I've also learned how to talk my way around them! I know exactly what to say to get me out of there and I find myself doing this every time I try!

Ugh, and the last thing I need/want is someone that is constantly "and how does that make you feel?" Responses like that make my skin crawl!

So, do you guys have any suggestions on how to find one that I may trust and will actually help? Thanks!

sandyrdh1
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I have been to a few and never had good outcome. They all seem like they need counseling too. One I went to was old and chewed on her pencil the whole time. Never helped me. Just asked me questions and when I would answer she said ok. I was hoping for, really well this is how you can manage that. But none if them did that. It was like they were only there to just listen to me. Oh and give me meds.

Saldav
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
My gp has been prescribing my xanax, zoloft etc for me. Today we were talking about the fact that I don't have any control over my anxiety. I told her I have been reading and learning and changing my diet (as little caffeine as possible) etc and it still isn't working. So she says its time to find a counselor. The problem is, I have yet to meet one that I actually trust!

When I was 16 I went to see one at my dad's work (because through his insurance, he got so many visits free). I found out later that he went and repeated everything to my mother! I've also learned how to talk my way around them! I know exactly what to say to get me out of there and I find myself doing this every time I try!

Ugh, and the last thing I need/want is someone that is constantly "and how does that make you feel?" Responses like that make my skin crawl!

So, do you guys have any suggestions on how to find one that I may trust and will actually help? Thanks!

So Zoloft and xanax haven't helped you at all? With your anxiety

Shyaamist
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I have been on and off zoloft for years for my depression... with my current dose, the depression is controlled perfectly. I'm not feeling any depression at the moment. However, the anxiety has gotten worse over the past 3ish years. I am allowed 2 pills of .5mg xanax a day. Most days that is plenty. I take it as I feel I'm wound so tight I could snap like a rubber band. (I have gad, not really panic attacks). Doc has temp upped my allowance of xanax to 3 a day if needed. And she wants me to start saraquil. The drugs seem to be helping, but not to the point where I can spend the majority of days in a week not being anxious!

SunnieDebris
01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately, there are more shitty counselors than there are good ones. Don't let a bad experience turn you off of counseling altogether. I think you would really benefit because you're willing to do the hard work, if you just had a foreman! And don't be persuaded by the degree (LCSW, PhD, PsyD, etc.). It's not the education--it's the person. So jus start calling and give it a go. If he/she sucks, try someone else. You can do it!

alankay
01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
A longer acting benzo is usually used for GAD. Valium, klonopin, clorazepate, etc. Ativan might also be an option but it should be longer in half life than xanax and a bit safer. Alankay