PDA

View Full Version : What does medication do?

nicole123x
01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm sick of my anxiety so I'm going back to doctor and demanding tablets off him to help me, but what exactly do they do?
Stop attacks?
Take your mind off your negative feelings?
Stop physical pain? Etc?

Also what is best med for a 16 year old girl (non! Exactly, but I need them!)

trinidiva
01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
They basically make you stop worrying and calm down. Some are quick acting meds, these are good when you are having a panic attack...but they aren't really for everyday use. Then they have SSRIs...which take a few weeks to work, but they help to keep you calm over the long term.

trinidiva
01-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh to add, it will take away some of the physical pain caused by anxiety. I am taking meds along with meditation, exercise, and changing my eating habits, and for the most part I am feeling better.

MainerMikeBrown
01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Nicole, before I got on meds for my anxieties, all the best psychotherapy in the world didn't help. Even though I believed in a lot of the advice therapists told me to calm me down, it didn't work. It's not how I felt.

My point is that one thing meds can do is make it so talk therapy for issues with anxieties will actually work. Now when I try to reason with myself when I feel nervous, I can actually calm myself down. Before, I could try positive self-talk. But it would not calm me down hardly at all.

Cara1989
01-01-2013, 02:53 PM
This is pretty true in alot of cases .

My counselor and alot of other have told me that there are people that you could talk to until your blue in the face but it wont work . Often they need the small , short term drug that helps them get started on other things .

2 psychitrist told me I wouldnt get better without taking meds 1 was wrong because I did get better from a really bad point the one I'm seeing now says the samething but I want to prove her wrong med don't get me wrong I'm to the point of saying fk it give me the medicine but so many damn side affects its stupid

nicole123x
01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
So can anyone tell me what medication is best for a 16 year old girl ? X

nicole123x
01-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Thank you! Yes I have tried counciling but its just not working for me x

SunnieDebris
01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
So can anyone tell me what medication is best for a 16 year old girl ? X

Maybe you should think about taking her to a psychiatrist. Their specialty is drugs and drug interactions/warnings.

Tristanayoubi
01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
They're basically drugs...

Ahlstrom
01-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Medications are in my opinion more important and potent than coping mechanisms (probably going to get some flack for that.)

We sure are lucky that we live in a era where medicine is quite advanced.