PDA

View Full Version : a bit of help for everyone

rob3rtjam3s
12-30-2012, 01:46 PM
What helps you relieve your stress anxiety depression. What coping methods do u use ??

sandyrdh1
12-30-2012, 02:12 PM
What helps you relieve your stress anxiety depression. What coping methods do u use ??

Getting up and keeping busy around the house or a warm bath.

rob3rtjam3s
12-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Cleaning just makes me more stressed ... Simple tasks like washing up make me feel sick sometimes

sandyrdh1
12-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Cleaning just makes me more stressed ... Simple tasks like washing up make me feel sick sometimes

How about a good movie or music? I started sewing and doing crafts. I can be real anxious and sit down and start that and my mind gets off the symptoms.

Saldav
12-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Are you on any meds?

trinidiva
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Exercise, Tai chi, or a cup of camommile tea.

mw0929
12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Depends on the day. Some days, nothing works. Other days, watching a comedy movie, staying busy, drinking a cup of hot tea, warm bath help some.

temperancebrennan
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I tend to read a few chapters of a book, put on a film that I've seen a thousand times that I don't really have to think about or play solitaire on my phone. These things tend to calm me down quite a bit.

rob3rtjam3s
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't no how to take my mind off anxiety symptoms don't enjoy anything no more on ad s

cookie26
12-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't no how to take my mind off anxiety symptoms don't enjoy anything no more on ad s

Guided meditations for anxiety or depression, or deep relaxation meditations help me a lot. You can search for guided meditations on Youtube... just search "guided meditation anxiety" or "deep relaxation" or "anxiety relief" on youtube. There are plenty there. Sometimes talking things out helps, sometimes not. My therapist told me it's good to have mutliple techniques used for calming yourself down, as the same ones won't work each and every time. I've found this to be true - sometimes deep breathing works, sometimes it doesn't. The best thing you can do is to try as many different avenues as you can, and then try them.

There are some good apps on my phone that I've found to help with anxiety and depression ... they include audio for relaxation and understanding, as well as readings, if you like that sort of thing. CBT Depression and CBT Anxiety are two.

I've also recently gotten into knitting, which has helped. Going for a walk down a calming street is nice, too, while listening to classical or spa music.

Getting a massage or facial. Deep breathing exercises. Watching a comedy on Netflix. Self-help books, or going to the anxiety forum. Getting together with a positive, uplifting friend. Making a snowman. Going to therapy. In desperate situations, taking medicine.

Tomn
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
As others have mentioned, keeping busy and distracting myself. Being around other people or engaging in pleasurable activities such as gardening or a gym workout. Being worn out from exercise often leaves me too tired to worry anymore :)

justconfused
12-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Sometimes positive conversation with people who understand. Definitely if you have skype and are lucky enough to have someone close that understands. It helps loads to just get on there and talk, play a multiplayer game online while talking, or even screen share some things you find interesting. It has helped me alot.