PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

Tomn
12-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone

I began suffering anxiety as a teenager, and noticed my symptoms develop into more of an OCD type of disorder when I was around 18/19 years old. For a couple of years I was an absolute mess, but have managed to get my anxiety under control enough to go to work and live normally. This site appears to have some great information, hopefully I can learn some useful things and contribute some good advice myself!

Cheers
Tomn

SunnieDebris
12-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi, Tomn, and welcome. What did you find that works for you?

Tomn
12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi SunnieDebris, while I'm certainly not 100% cured, I've come a long way!

I found SSRI's to be a little bit helpful, but mostly for me it was lifestyle changes that made the difference. Better diet and exercise, engaging in pleasurable activities, and keeping busy! I still find if I have too much spare time, I use it worrying. Better off having fun or productive things to do and keeping your mind occupied.

Also, since it was OCD symptoms I was mostly suffering, I found putting myself through some "exposure therapy" worked well. Ie not letting myself double check things, trusting myself and not giving in to fears/compulsions.

Hope some of these tips help

MainerMikeBrown
01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Tomn, your story about how you manage your anxieties and live life as best you can is something that'll be therapeutic for many others. I'm glad you're doing something to overcome your anxieties and symptoms of OCD. So many people do little to help themselves. But it sounds like you are not a person who does little. Good job!

SunnieDebris
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi SunnieDebris, while I'm certainly not 100% cured, I've come a long way!

I found SSRI's to be a little bit helpful, but mostly for me it was lifestyle changes that made the difference. Better diet and exercise, engaging in pleasurable activities, and keeping busy! I still find if I have too much spare time, I use it worrying. Better off having fun or productive things to do and keeping your mind occupied.

Also, since it was OCD symptoms I was mostly suffering, I found putting myself through some "exposure therapy" worked well. Ie not letting myself double check things, trusting myself and not giving in to fears/compulsions.

Hope some of these tips help

Wow, that is great! Good for you! I know that was not easy. That is simply amazing! Great to have you here!

Tomn
01-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys :) happy to be here. I hope you're both doing well battling your anxieties.