PDA

View Full Version : HELP Choosing an Anxiety Psychiatrist and Therapist

waldenkal
09-10-2005, 10:32 PM
How do I choose a Psychiatrist and a Therapist for Anxiety. I am looking
for both in the western part of the Portland oregon area, I am new to this and have no idea how I would pick a therapist or a Psychiatrist. Would appreciate any help.

Wald

shoe
09-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Wald, if you know people around the are you would feel comfortable asking, that might be one step. Or maybe a physician could help you pick one out.

You could check the phone book and go through each listing I suppose, but you want to make sure when you call that the counselor has experience treating anxiety disorders. Also, one that specializes in CBT or group behavioral therapy is usually recommended.

Its probably best to find a psychologist first, they can possibly recommend a psychiatrist for you if you decide you would like to try medication. Psychiatrists in my experience aren't very effective counselors - they are better used for getting yourself on medication.

You can check the 'Resources' section on this forum for the post 'Therapist and Mental Health Services Locators', I have listed quite a number of search sites to choose from.

If you don't have the money you might check to see if there's a local mental healtch facility in your area that bases fees for services on your income. - these could also be found by links from that post.

good luck,
dan