PDA

View Full Version : Weird sensation

justconfused
12-25-2012, 08:32 PM
This last week and a half I have been occupied and doing a good job at keeping my mind from making me miserable. But yesterday and today a symptom keeps occuring that has me scared. I described it to a doc last time I went, but it didn't seem to be anything to them from how they acted. The right side of my face feels like it has this strange tingle sensation. Never goes numb, just feels weird. Not exactly pins and needles I can't describe it. It's like it is hot and air is hitting it kinda feeling. This has happened to my right forearm and even once on my right side around the side of my ribs. It freaks me out and makes me think of a stroke or ms or something bad. I have no idea if anyone has experienced anything like it could you please explain if it sounds like it's bad or not.

SunnieDebris
12-25-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm not a doctor, but what you describe could definitely be anxiety. It sounds like your doctor is not very concerned. What does your doctor think about it?

justconfused
12-25-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm not a doctor, but what you describe could definitely be anxiety. It sounds like your doctor is not very concerned. What does your doctor think about it?

They just said it is a symptom of anxiety. It just scares me because my mind says what if it is actually something serious that is getting looked over because I worry so much. I was sent to a neurologist to ease my mind but after going through my history and doing the basic examination she said there was no need for anything further or mri. Everyone tells me they would tell me if they believed something was wrong because they wouldn't want to see anything happen, but I'm saying well I'm feeling these weird feelings not you.

justconfused
12-25-2012, 09:20 PM
I am terrified of it being ms. I made the mistake of looking up the symptoms after I felt them. So it isn't like I read them and that made me feel them, but practically every symptom for ms I have felt. It scares me.

SunnieDebris
12-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I also had questions about my neurological function, but my doctor also did an in-office exam, and ruled me healthy in that respect. I think you can trust that if your doctor needed a test to make a decision about your health status, she would have ordered one. I know that no one else can feel your feelings, but at some point you have to give these well-trained professionals giving your their paid opinions on your health the benefit of the doubt. Still not sure? Get a second opinion, but make a deal with yourself that if the second opinion is the same as the first, you will let the matter drop.

justconfused
12-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you. That makes sense and helped me sleep last night. As I'm sure you know with anxiety there is always something that can trigger in a bad way and trigger in a good way. Your reply eased my mind. I think it was because no matter how many times you or a family member tells yourself something, someone outside the circle so to speak can often calm me down better. It's strange. Like my mind says well they have no reason to lie they don't even know you.

sandyrdh1
12-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I get that too. Not very often but mine is like a patch on my skin that to touch it or rub it, it hurts. I have had it in the back of my leg, my face, and my arm. You can't see it, but when it's on the back of my leg it hurts to sit. My doctors have no idea what it is. My neurologist did not either.

raggamuffin
12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
THe problem is you're unable to accept a medical professionals diagnosis. If you had 5+ year smedical training under your belt it could be justified. I think many of us are the same. The "what if's" and worst case scenarios playing out in our paranoid, anxiety ridden minds seem to overwhelm all sense and logic. The list of anxiety symptoms can be virtually never ending. But what you need to realize and accept is that it is anxiety. The more fear and worry you dedicate to a symptom or pain, the longer it'll last.

This perceived danger isn't allowing the fight or flight response to ever fully stop. It's a vicious cycle of worry leading to anxiety leading to a symptom, leading to more worry. Round and round it goes.

It's hard to do, but you need to accept what the professionals have said. Accept it is anxiety. I've had sensations and pains so real I was convinced it was something dire. But i've gone through over 20 months of this with pains and sensations everyday.

The quicker you accept it, the quicker you'll get back to a sense of normality.

Ed