PDA

View Full Version : Psycholoist?

LeslieJoy
12-23-2012, 04:37 AM
My dr wants me to call this psychologist for an appointment to see if she can figure out what is causing me to be so afraid of being alone. I sometimes have anxiety and panic attacks when my husband leaves for work. Sunday nights are really the worst cause I know I have s whole week of nights home alone, sitting on my couch and I actually fear walking around my own house by myself. I gather everything I may need while he is gone and am glued to my couch for the night till he gets home. If I know that i have to go out of the house and come back to a dark and quiet house, I start getting so anxious.

Does anyone here go to see a psychologist? Does it even help? I have not made my appt yet.

SunnieDebris
12-23-2012, 12:53 PM
My dr wants me to call this psychologist for an appointment to see if she can figure out what is causing me to be so afraid of being alone. I sometimes have anxiety and panic attacks when my husband leaves for work. Sunday nights are really the worst cause I know I have s whole week of nights home alone, sitting on my couch and I actually fear walking around my own house by myself. I gather everything I may need while he is gone and am glued to my couch for the night till he gets home. If I know that i have to go out of the house and come back to a dark and quiet house, I start getting so anxious.

Does anyone here go to see a psychologist? Does it even help? I have not made my appt yet.

Hey there, Leslie. I'm sorry that you're having such a had time right now. My wife also happens to be named Leslie, and she went through a period where she was so scared at night, she would run around the house with a blanket over her checking all the doors and windows. (We had a bad falling out with a neighbor.) She went and sought help from her psychiatrist and therapist, and her fear levels came way down, and she was able to sleep at night again. I am also afraid of the dark, and I even hate being in my home, sometimes. I feel so vulnerable. I'm also being treated by a therapist, psychiatrist, and attending group therapy weekly. Therapy can be very rewarding, if you have a good therapist, and they are hard to come by. I went through several before I found one that actually listened to me, instead of judging me based on a preconceived idea. It's also hard work. You'll probably have assignments you must do in order to start to get better. All that said, I would still recommend it. A good shrink is great to have in your corner.

LeslieJoy
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you for your replies. They have helped me to make a decision to call for help from a psychiatrist. I do think I need to talk to myself about not being afraid to be alone. Thank for the link also.