PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks with no explanation

temperancebrennan
12-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi, I thought I'd see if anyone is having the same experiences as myself.

Basically, I've suffered from panic attacks for the past 4 or 5 years. The thing is, I'm not a worrier. I don't fret over little things & my current life is not very stressful. I have a full time job, live with friends, plenty of friends & yet I rarely go a day without panic attack symptoms or a full blown attack happening. There are no triggers. I can be sat chatting away with friends or watching a film at home & then I will feel an attack coming on.

I was previously on a mixture of Escitalopram (20mg), Clomipramine (150mg) & Sulpiride (can't remember the mg of that one). But I didn't feel any real difference so I took myself off them after around 8months.

Me & my boyfriend broke up in July & didn't have an attack from then until around 3 weeks ago. I've had an attack every day since then.

Does anyone else have attacks that come on with no real trigger?

rhar
12-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Yep, I have no idea what causes my attacks.
Although I think it might be the physical symptoms that set me off. I am so in tune with every feeling my body has that if I feel dizzy or lightheaded I focus on it and that's when the panic sets in!
So frustrating

mw0929
12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Yep, I have no idea what causes my attacks.
Although I think it might be the physical symptoms that set me off. I am so in tune with every feeling my body has that if I feel dizzy or lightheaded I focus on it and that's when the panic sets in!
So frustrating

I'm the same way. It's usually the symptoms alone that set me into a panic.

rhar
12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm the same way. It's usually the symptoms alone that set me into a panic.

Yep cos all I think is "something is wrong with me, am I dying of something??"

mw0929
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Yep cos all I think is "something is wrong with me, am I dying of something??"

Exactly! I came across something on Facebook that made me think about it too. It said "Googling your symptoms is the fastest way to convince yourself you are dying" I used to do that all the time and it caused me to actually start convincing myself I had certain symptoms of terminal illnesses.

aims86
12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I did the exact same thing! The Internet is dangerous with regards symptoms and illnesses!

rhar
12-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Yep same here! It's amazing what your mind can talk you into!!!!!

mw0929
12-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I know!! It's best to just stay away from googling symptoms.

temperancebrennan
12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
One of my main symptoms is my hands, arms, legs & feel feeling heavy & numb. So if my hands or feet are cold, this can usually trigger an attack.

When I feel okay, I'm pretty laid back & just want to have a laugh. But at times when it's bad, my personality changed completely :/

rhar
12-21-2012, 11:29 AM
I get one foot that feels heavy or numb and sometimes I feel like I'm dragging it. Then there wil be days that is hasn't happened for ages and it's only when I start thinking about it that it feels that way again

temperancebrennan
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I think it's the symptoms that set me off too. For example, if my hands are cold or numb from being outside then that can set one off for me.

How is everyone coping around Christmas?