PDA

View Full Version : I just ate & felt the skipping heart

anxietygirl143
12-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Ughhh this is killing me why is it that wen I finish eating or if I eat I get the skipping beat in my heart .. Is it my heart or is it my anxiety .. I'm so scared to eat now & it's causing me to loose wieght super fast :/

SunnieDebris
12-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Have you got your heart checked out? That would be where I would start.

anxietygirl143
12-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Have you got your heart checked out? That would be where I would start.

Yea I done echo stress test holter monitor for 7 days ... They say I have premature beats but it's normal .. It's driving me insane :(

SunnieDebris
12-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Well, if its not your heart, can it be anything else but anxiety? I know that a lot of us with anxiety have problems eating and/or keeping food down. I don't know exactly why, but many of us have food issues. Is there anything you to distract yourself from these uncomfortable sensations after you eat? Play a game, talk to someone on the phone? Maybe if you distract yourself for 15 minutes or so after you eat, the uncomfortable feelings will pass.

anxietygirl143
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Well, if its not your heart, can it be anything else but anxiety? I know that a lot of us with anxiety have problems eating and/or keeping food down. I don't know exactly why, but many of us have food issues. Is there anything you to distract yourself from these uncomfortable sensations after you eat? Play a game, talk to someone on the phone? Maybe if you distract yourself for 15 minutes or so after you eat, the uncomfortable feelings will pass.

It can be stress or maybe lack of nutrition :/ or maybe not taking vitamins or loosing wieght to fast within months .. Not sure wat it is .. I would love to know but doctors tsay I'm fine I have two daugthers & it's hard for me .. Even if I'm calm on the phone ect I still get themm .. Nothing seems to relax me I'm always thinking

anxietygirl143
12-18-2012, 11:46 PM

My doctor said it can gerd too ( acid reflux ) or gas

SunnieDebris
12-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Are you seeing a therapist to talk about your anxiety issues? Meds can be a great help, but they can't solve the root problem that's causing the anxiety. If you don't have access to therapy, what I like to suggest it journaling your thoughts and feelings, so that you get them out of your head, and on paper. Sometimes it helps our brains calm down a little.

dazza
12-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Ughhh this is killing me why is it that wen I finish eating or if I eat I get the skipping beat in my heart .. Is it my heart or is it my anxiety .. I'm so scared to eat now & it's causing me to loose wieght super fast :/

While your mind and body continues to be nervous & stressed, your palps (& every other symptom) will prevail I'm affraid.
I KNOW this because I've BEEN there for the past year.

Food consumption causes a few bodily changes... obviously around the guts. Many people report palps after eating, and this is probably something to do with the vagus nerve - which controls both heart rate and stomach activity (so both are linked via the same, major nerve).

OVER eating has caused me a few problems. I once stuffed myself in an all-you-can-eat Chinese and after I'd never experienced chest pain like it! lol
Must have been GERD.

May I suggest:

1/ EAT smaller, manageable, comfortable amounts such that you're not all bloated and heavy.

2/ ALWAYS keep ant-acids in the house, such as RENNIE or Gaviscon.
RENNIE are awesome. Use as directed on the box - they keep the acid at bay.

You will have built up a fear association of heart skips and eating. I bet that with every mouthful your mind is wondering off down the dark path of anxiety...
Worrying / anticipating

You're fine... just nervous... and you bodily functions related to digestion will be prodding at your anxiety. That's all.

Relax me old love and follow the two steps above.

PanicCured
12-19-2012, 03:01 AM
I just wrote about this. I don't have anxiety and I get this. So it may or may not be anxiety. But when a doctor says its from anxiety, what the hell does that mean anyway? I wonder if its a stimulation on the Vagus Nerve. Maybe when you eat the full stomach does this. I don't know. But if you had a full work up and the doc says you are good then you are good. Premature beats if the doc says its not dangerous it really isn't. Trust him. Who dies from a premature beat? as that ever happened ever? Don't let it cause you anxiety.

mw0929
12-19-2012, 07:56 AM
I have GERD and anxiety. Both can cause heart palpitations. Have you ever been diagnosed with acid reflux/GERD? Anytime I eat too much, I get palps.

sandyrdh1
12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
I get the same thing. Mine happens when I eat and even when I don't. I have had them everyday now since July of this year. They say my heart is fine and its just pre mature beats. They drive me nuts. Exp when they come one right after the other for hours. I am just lost on what to do now. I eat smaller meals, eat slower etc but nothing helps. It makes everyday a bad day now. I just wish they would stop. People say just ignore them, but how can you when it feels like your heart is jumping out and with mine it's uncomfortable. I can see my shirt jump every-time it skips. I try and get up and do something but it does not always help:(

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 08:48 AM
While your mind and body continues to be nervous & stressed, your palps (& every other symptom) will prevail I'm affraid.
I KNOW this because I've BEEN there for the past year.

Food consumption causes a few bodily changes... obviously around the guts. Many people report palps after eating, and this is probably something to do with the vagus nerve - which controls both heart rate and stomach activity (so both are linked via the same, major nerve).

OVER eating has caused me a few problems. I once stuffed myself in an all-you-can-eat Chinese and after I'd never experienced chest pain like it! lol
Must have been GERD.

May I suggest:

1/ EAT smaller, manageable, comfortable amounts such that you're not all bloated and heavy.

2/ ALWAYS keep ant-acids in the house, such as RENNIE or Gaviscon.
RENNIE are awesome. Use as directed on the box - they keep the acid at bay.

You will have built up a fear association of heart skips and eating. I bet that with every mouthful your mind is wondering off down the dark path of anxiety...
Worrying / anticipating

You're fine... just nervous... and you bodily functions related to digestion will be prodding at your anxiety. That's all.

Relax me old love and follow the two steps above.

Thank you so much .. It just feels like my heart is failing on me :( idk wat to do I wake up scared everyday :/

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Are you seeing a therapist to talk about your anxiety issues? Meds can be a great help, but they can't solve the root problem that's causing the anxiety. If you don't have access to therapy, what I like to suggest it journaling your thoughts and feelings, so that you get them out of your head, and on paper. Sometimes it helps our brains calm down a little.

I was seeing a therapist but didn't work for me ! 😕

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
I have GERD and anxiety. Both can cause heart palpitations. Have you ever been diagnosed with acid reflux/GERD? Anytime I eat too much, I get palps.

Well how can they tell if you have gerd ?? In the we they gave me meds for that saying it can b that I just started taking the meds

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I just wrote about this. I don't have anxiety and I get this. So it may or may not be anxiety. But when a doctor says its from anxiety, what the hell does that mean anyway? I wonder if its a stimulation on the Vagus Nerve. Maybe when you eat the full stomach does this. I don't know. But if you had a full work up and the doc says you are good then you are good. Premature beats if the doc says its not dangerous it really isn't. Trust him. Who dies from a premature beat? as that ever happened ever? Don't let it cause you anxiety.

Thank you so much !! Really appreciate it :)

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I get the same thing. Mine happens when I eat and even when I don't. I have had them everyday now since July of this year. They say my heart is fine and its just pre mature beats. They drive me nuts. Exp when they come one right after the other for hours. I am just lost on what to do now. I eat smaller meals, eat slower etc but nothing helps. It makes everyday a bad day now. I just wish they would stop. People say just ignore them, but how can you when it feels like your heart is jumping out and with mine it's uncomfortable. I can see my shirt jump every-time it skips. I try and get up and do something but it does not always help:(

Yes exactly how I feel .. I wana have friends that understand me & go through the same thing as I do

mw0929
12-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Well how can they tell if you have gerd ?? In the we they gave me meds for that saying it can b that I just started taking the meds

If you get heartburn & have acid coming up in your throat you most likely have GERD/acid reflux. It has been seen that many people suffering from acid reflux complain also of*having palpitations and angina similar pain which is due to the acid inflaming the esophagus and overstimulating the nerves in the area, which causes abnormal muscle contractions. Those muscle contractions can *cause chest pain. Patients that are not aware of having acid reflux may think that they are having some heart related problems and it makes them feel stressed and anxious. So the doctors believe that the anxiety and stress related to the acid reflux symtoms cause palpitations. Others believe that the gas trapped in the esophagus presses the vagus nerve ( which plays a role in regulating the heart rhythm ) and causes*heart palpitations.

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
If you get heartburn & have acid coming up in your throat you most likely have GERD/acid reflux. It has been seen that many people suffering from acid reflux complain also of*having palpitations and angina similar pain which is due to the acid inflaming the esophagus and overstimulating the nerves in the area, which causes abnormal muscle contractions. Those muscle contractions can *cause chest pain. Patients that are not aware of having acid reflux may think that they are having some heart related problems and it makes them feel stressed and anxious. So the doctors believe that the anxiety and stress related to the acid reflux symtoms cause palpitations. Others believe that the gas trapped in the esophagus presses the vagus nerve ( which plays a role in regulating the heart rhythm ) and causes*heart palpitations.

Thank u so much !! :) I'm starting to feel no so lonley and scared :)

randomanxiety
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Wow I was just recently diagnosed with Gerd and I had no idea that it had those kind of side effects! I experience palpitations all the time and just thought it was part of my anxiety syptoms.
My symptoms of Gerd included a constant feeling of an acidy stomach, and stomach pain/burning in the morning and at night or after I ate. I could feel the pain about 3-4inches above my belly button in the middle of my body. I always thought my stomach was lower (sorry not a doctor, lol) so I thought the pain was something else.

sandyrdh1
12-19-2012, 10:57 AM
With me I do not have the acid come back up that I know of. Sometimes I get heartburn not every day. But I have noticed when I get palps or skip heart beats I burp a lot. Could that be related?

anxietygirl143
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
With me I do not have the acid come back up that I know of. Sometimes I get heartburn not every day. But I have noticed when I get palps or skip heart beats I burp a lot. Could that be related?

Same here I sometimes get acid not all the time but I burp alot too n I dnt drink caffeine or sodas at all all I drink is water .. It can b due to that too

12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I have severe GERD. I can hardly keep a meal down and am currently on an all liquid diet. Since I've been worrying about my weight my heart does this weird flippy thing that takes my breath away. Doc says its normal premature beat, but they trigger panic attacks for me. It's hard to remember that if I don't eat, my blood sugar can drop and cause palpitations. If I do eat, my worry of vomiting will cause it. I would get Zegrid and take it regularly. It will help keep meals down. I am on super reflux meds but that's a good place to start. You can take tums before every meal if it makes you feel better as long as you don't go over the 24 hour limit. If you need any stomach questions/heart questions answered just PM me! I have been to a cardiologist and of course a gastrologist.

mw0929
12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Thank u so much !! :) I'm starting to feel no so lonley and scared :)

You're very welcome! That's what we're here for!