PDA

View Full Version : Pain in left arm Help Please

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I keep having a dull ache in my left shoulder and halfway down my arm also shooting pains in my wrist. This cant be anxiety because im not feeling anxious at all!!! This cant be normal. Help?!?

trinidiva
12-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Is it on the inner part of your ARM, or the outer area?

Do you feel any discomfort in the neck area up into the jaw or ear?

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 02:50 PM
All around the top of my left arm. No pain in jaw ect but pain all around the shoulder. It aches more than anything

Lovemesometony
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
All around the top of my left arm. No pain in jaw ect but pain all around the shoulder. It aches more than anything

I have left arm pain all the time. Aches and pain can surely be from anxiety and stress. If you been real anxious lately your muscles can start to have spasm. I was worried about this for a minute until I read that left arm pain was common. Anxiety can come any many different forms especially if you have GAD. So don't be surprised to feel unusual things. Of course it's always good to check with your doctor.

dazza
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I keep having a dull ache in my left shoulder and halfway down my arm also shooting pains in my wrist. This cant be anxiety because im not feeling anxious at all!!! This cant be normal. Help?!?

In the case of anxiety:

Left arm & shoulder pain is extremely common amongst anxious folk. I've read it (and had it!) over and over and over again.
As is neck & chest pain (including just under left nipple and armpit)

These symptoms can quite easily be mistaken for something sinister but are a transient result of our fight or flight mechanism.
Adrenalin & neuro stress signals passing through our cariac & nerve system, wreaking havoc on just about everything they touch.

The most likely cause of the left arm / wrist / hand pain is that of a stressed nerve which starts out at the neck.

You will notice that the pains completely dissappear during happy + calm times.

Very uncomfortable, unnerving and freaky... but harmless.

(Of course... ALWAYS get checked by the doc. just in case. You could have carpel tunnel or similar)

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Thankyou. Feel a lil more at ease. Went to A and E last night had ecg and blood pressure done and everything was fine. Would an ecg detect a problem with my heart tho??

dazza
12-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Thankyou. Feel a lil more at ease. Went to A and E last night had ecg and blood pressure done and everything was fine. Would an ecg detect a problem with my heart tho??

A&E last night eh? you had a cracking Saturday night then... LOL

An ecg is the best way to detect heart problems. Such machines run software that is built on over 100 years experience of the human heart.
If it said you're good - it meant it :-)

Are these symptoms new to you? is anxiety disorder itself new to you??

jhunter89
12-16-2012, 04:07 PM
A&E last night eh? you had a cracking Saturday night then... LOL

Probably the worst night of the week to go aswell!

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Lol. No had it 4 2years now. Come off meds coz felt fine and now its come back with a vengance :-( my blood pressure was 127/79 is that good?? Dont understand blood pressure

dazza
12-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Lol. No had it 4 2years now. Come off meds coz felt fine and now its come back with a vengance my blood pressure was 127/79 is that good?? Dont understand blood pressure

Anxiety tends to come and go, like a, errrr... errmmmm... giant... coming and going thing (sorry - couldn't think of a better description)

The suggested optimal blood pressure for young people is 120/80

127/79 is perfect

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Lmao. Thanks for that lol

dazza
12-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Just for your info... blood pressure is actually dead simple to understand:

The first (or top) number is your systolic blood pressure. It is the highest level your blood pressure reaches when your heart beats.
The second (or bottom) number is your diastolic blood pressure. It is the lowest level your blood pressure reaches as your heart relaxes between beats.

So, your systolic is 127 (heart beating - pumping hard so arteries (carrying new blood) are pressurised)
Your diastolic is 79 (heart relaxed - arteries also relaxed)

You should aim to keep your BP normal or even on the low side. Exercise and healthy foods (especially less salt) are the best way to do this.

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 04:50 PM
So does this mean i have a healthy heart with the blood pressure reading i had?? That reading was taken just after i had my anxiety attack aswell.

dazza
12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
A lot of anxious folk find their BP is high most the time, this is mostly because of an elevated heart rate (being in a constant state of fear).

Your normal ecg and blood pressure suggests everything is running as it should be. Even better considering you'd just had an attack!

RELAX... it's ALL GOOD :-)

lilo10191
12-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Thankyou very much for putting my mind at rest. Really appreciate it

dazza
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
You're welcome... now get a good nights kip in... zzzzzzzzz