PDA

View Full Version : Help Please?! Driving Myself Nuts!

wheelie19
12-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Hello All,

I am new here and really need some advice. I have been struggling with anxiety for a while and it is getting to the point that it is interrupting daily life. I specifically have a lot of anxiety related to work. I am currently on Cipralex, am going to see my therapist, and thankfully have a very understanding boss.

I work in a call centre and therefore am obviously not allowed to swear while on the phone. We do have what they call mute buttons so that we can talk to each other or if we are having a bad call we can put the mute button on so the person on the other end of the line won't hear us.

Anyways, I was having a bad day the other day and whatever. I was just sitting there listening to the phone ring and all of the sudden the phone picked up and I went to take the mute button off and then tried to say something only to realize the mute button was on, which either means it wasn't on or because I tried to take it off in a hurry, I took it off and bumped it so it went back on. Anyways, I was trying to pronounce this guys name while I waited for him to pick up the phone and for some reason I have myself convinced he heard me swear (which makes no sense because I have no reason to think I swore... sometimes I mouth off to myself when I'm not on the phone/mute button is on if I've had a bad call). But still I think I'd remember it and not doubt doing it or the guy would've called in to my supervisor. This is not the first time I've thought this has happened and been wrong. I feel so stupid.

Anways, I don't know why I feel like this, but it has me very worried. Help would be really appreciated?

funkstarsista
12-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Hi, when people feel anxious their mind can focus in on one small incident and blow it out of proportion, it gives the tension and worry an outlet, something "real" to latch onto. Thank your mind for letting you know it's not cool to be heard swearing at customers, it didn't happen on this occassion and you will be cautious and make sure it never does happen. Your mind is being over protective and trying to warn you about a potential problem at work. Thank your mind for this, but let your mind know you've heard the warning, all is well and you can now move on from it.

wheelie19
12-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Hi, when people feel anxious their mind can focus in on one small incident and blow it out of proportion, it gives the tension and worry an outlet, something "real" to latch onto. Thank your mind for letting you know it's not cool to be heard swearing at customers, it didn't happen on this occassion and you will be cautious and make sure it never does happen. Your mind is being over protective and trying to warn you about a potential problem at work. Thank your mind for this, but let your mind know you've heard the warning, all is well and you can now move on from it.

Wow, thanks! That actually makes a lot of sense.... It's the constant nagging doubt, I hate.

funkstarsista
12-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I hate it too, I wish I didn't understand the workings of the anxious mind so well, cos I have one too :-)

trinidiva
12-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I've worked in that type of environment as well, and have been a victim of the mute button as well....lol. I wouldn't stress too much about it. If your supervisor brings it up, just let them know the situation, that it was a mistake and you will make sure it won't happen again.

wheelie19
12-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I've worked in that type of environment as well, and have been a victim of the mute button as well....lol. I wouldn't stress too much about it. If your supervisor brings it up, just let them know the situation, that it was a mistake and you will make sure it won't happen again.

This is true. Again though, I have NO reason to think I swore, you know? Also, is it wrong of me to think that if I had, they'd of called in? I just really don't want to get fired.

trinidiva
12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I think if you wait a few days and you hear nothing, I wouldn't worry. I honestly think you probably had the mute button on and the customer never heard anything. Gotta think positive!!!!

wheelie19
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I think if you wait a few days and you hear nothing, I wouldn't worry. I honestly think you probably had the mute button on and the customer never heard anything. Gotta think positive!!!!

Thanks :). I really appreciate the advice, especially from someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about.

trinidiva
12-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Sure thing, no problem!!!!

wheelie19
12-18-2012, 04:50 PM
This is an everyday thing, too. I can know for a fact I have the mute button, say whatever, and then take it off and feel like they heard me. I am aware how silly that sounds and I always hear this like stupid echoish sound when I take the mute button off, but I still know they didn't hear me. Calls are recorded, but I can't get every single one listened to every time I think this happens, you know?

SunnieDebris
12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
You sound like you're a conscientious worker and you know what you're doing. Have some faith in yourself.

wheelie19
12-18-2012, 05:36 PM
You sound like you're a conscientious worker and you know what you're doing. Have some faith in yourself.

Well that made me smile :). Thanks.