PDA

View Full Version : PLS help me!

Anderson
09-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi,

Im 24 and for approximately the past year I've been having random onset panic attacks . The symptoms include, racing heart, and "fear of going crazy" (sometimes blurred vision). I've been to my Dr. who has given me medication for the onset of these events - but I stopped taking medication for several months (and havent seen my Dr since, b/c I moved to another city). Over the past couple months, I havent really had a full blown panic attack - BUT I am TERRIFIED of getting them!!!!!!!

I'm only scared in situations where it would be socially bizarre to leave abruptly or do something strange i.e. when Im at dinner with friends, in class, or any social setting where I feel imprisoned (so to speak) by social conventions....IM SO FREAKED OUT BY THIS..<as soon as Im alone - I feel totally safe and normal again, and wonder what I was scared of>

Anyways, my symptoms in these situations include - feeling of detachment from myself. I often think of things I could tell my friends so I could leave immediately - like "I might be ill", if I were to actually have a panic attach. Ive had to cancel plans several times b/c I fear the onset of attacks in public settings.

This hasn't completely infringed on my life yet. But, I am sooo scared, if my panic disorder continues it will be very isolating.

Is this a strange form of panic attacks? Is this a strange form of agoraphobia? Can someone pls shed light on my situation?! Any self-help ideas or am I destined for a life of meds (although I dont have problems with that)?

Anderson

shoe
09-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Is this a strange form of panic attacks? Is this a strange form of agoraphobia? Can someone pls shed light on my situation?! Any self-help ideas or am I destined for a life of meds (although I dont have problems with that)?

Anderson

I don't think I'd consider what you have as strange, it's just a form of anxiety disorder rearing its head in a situation you might feel is inappropriate - but of course, anxiety disorders are never 'appropriate' are they hehe. Having a fear of having a panic attack, especially in a situation that would leave you feeling embarassed or looking 'crazy', is common with anxiety disorder sufferers, so don't let it make you feel odd or strange.

As far as getting help, you should probably seek out a psychologist and discuss things with them. There are also a number of anxiety books out there. One that I've bought that is good is 'The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook' by Edmund J. Bourne. You could also try alternative therapies (I've listed a few in the 'Resources' section), and even herbs and supplements.

If you ever do decide to go the medication route again, you don't necessarily need to take long-term medications like SSRI's. There are also fast-acting anti-anxiety medications you can take, beta-blockers and benzodiazepines being the two most common - both of which can be taken as-needed, rather than on a daily basis. Those would help alleviate anxiety in specific situations like attending social events or giving speeches. Of course, research has consistently shown that therapies such as CBT are much more beneficial to overcoming anxiety then taking medication alone, so its still a good idea to work on overcoming your fears rather than just suppressing them with medication.

dan

flower29
12-17-2005, 11:53 AM
I understand your fear of getting a panic attack again because of all you went through but don't let it take over you life. It will control you if you let it. Just go out do the things yoou want to do and if you have a panic attack infront of friends so what if they're real friends thy'll be supportive rather than judgemental about it . I don't know if that's good advice but i have panic attacks in front of friends before and all they did was take care of me until I got through and you know what I got through faster than i would have if i was alone. Don't worry This too shall pass!