PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety self help

superwill
12-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Can anxiety be cured or at least managed by self help or is counselling necessary. What are the ways for self help?

dazza
12-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Dress up as King Kong, go to your local supermarket and hang around the fruit isle.

When ever anyone attempts to pick up fruit, beat your chest & throw bananas at them in a fit of rage.

Worked for me...

Jinaiya
12-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Dress up as King Kong, go to your local supermarket and hang around the fruit isle.

When ever anyone attempts to pick up fruit, beat your chest & throw bananas at them in a fit of rage.

Worked for me...

Dazza: *Making me choke on the tea I'm consuming since 2012.*

This needs to be made into an avatar. Someone do this. :)

As far as your question, I believe the answer depends on several factors. Factors such as: The level of your anxiety, how long you have had it, specifics as to why it's happened, your ability to function day to day, your abilty to cope with the symptoms that anxiety presents. Example: When your heart is pounding, are you able to move past it, or do you spend hours in fear? When you go out in public and feel anxious, can you move past it, or do you lock yourself in your home, afraid to go out. Extremes here would signal a need for more extreme measures. Just my two cents.

For myself, self-help is not enough. I am seeing a counsellor AND taking medication. I'm still having a really hard time.

There is oodles of self-help out there. Books, meditation guides (including apps for phones), then of course any kind of fitness, like yoga.

If all else fails, I'd go with King Kong.