PDA

View Full Version : I really need some help from other anxiety sufferers, please

hayley_frances
12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
So around 8 months ago I developed a strange stretching pain in my fingers. It then moved up my arms and into the centre of my back. Around the time when it started I was just recovering from a bad illness (coughing up phlegm) and I had several unknown bites on my arm. Also three months prior my aunt and nana had died. I have always worried about having a heart attack (I don't know why) and I was also having trouble falling asleep at this time, which then escalated once the strange sensations started.

I went to see a doctor who almost immediately prescribed my depression/anxiety medication. However I didn't agree with her diagnosis and didn't take the meds. I went to see several other doctors who could find nothing physically wrong with me as well as a physio who found I was very tense. I began having times when I would have trouble breathing or feel a tightness in my rib cage, like it wouldn't move. I also worried a lot about dying. I think it is safe to say I am very afraid of experiencing pain.

I had a chest X-ray and blood tests for many things including Lyme disease and thyroid rheumatic etc I also developed very suddenly an incredible headache that felt like a band going around my whole head and back of neck. It lasted around a week with no relief. It has currently returned. My doctor is convinced it is anxiety and for a while I agreed with him, but then a new symptom pops up even though I try to stay calm. The most relief I have gotten is when I found out my dad had had an affair and I was so angry that my anger became my only focus. But now I am back to the pressure headache and tight neck, I also feel my ears get blocked simetimes.

I am so afraid I have some undiagnosed illness, though my doctor insists not. I feel so helpless and I don't know what to do. It is like my brain will not let me accept it is anxiety. I cry all the time, for hours. Please someone let me know what they think. I cannot sleep

justconfused
12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I cry for hours thinking the next day will never come. I have done this for months so obviously I know it isn't true, but I will just have to work harder to make it stop. The band around your head is a classic symptom of the kind of headache anxiety can cause. Tingling in extremeties, muscle tightness is a result of your body worrying and fighting for no reason all the time. My doctor told me no matter how calm I feel until I can beat this my mind will consciously worry which is why I always feel "weird" even when I'm having a pretty good day. Of course I have had many tests done to rule out actual illness. As long as you have taken the measures that you can to make sure nothing is wrong with your health, then trust your doctors. It is the first step to recovery to accept it. I still have days where I feel like something had to be missed, but those are the days I feel myself go backwards instead of forward.

hayley_frances
12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
I cry for hours thinking the next day will never come. I have done this for months so obviously I know it isn't true, but I will just have to work harder to make it stop. The band around your head is a classic symptom of the kind of headache anxiety can cause. Tingling in extremeties, muscle tightness is a result of your body worrying and fighting for no reason all the time. My doctor told me no matter how calm I feel until I can beat this my mind will consciously worry which is why I always feel "weird" even when I'm having a pretty good day. Of course I have had many tests done to rule out actual illness. As long as you have taken the measures that you can to make sure nothing is wrong with your health, then trust your doctors. It is the first step to recovery to accept it. I still have days where I feel like something had to be missed, but those are the days I feel myself go backwards instead of forward.

what do you think would be the best route for me to take? My doctor doesn't know the extent of my worry/tears he only knows the physical symptoms I ask him about. Should I see a psychiatrist, I have a self referral form but I always back down from sending it? Should I consider meds? I can't seem to keep my days of clarity for long enough on my own.

teajay
12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I've spent several hellish moments, months, years obsessing on health symptoms.... When I finally took my doctor's advice (after having every test and medical exams possible) and started taking medication for anxiety and depression I was amazed because all the physical symptoms I was having went away... for some reason I was afraid to take the medications but I am so thankful I took a risk... it's made all the difference.

justconfused
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
what do you think would be the best route for me to take? My doctor doesn't know the extent of my worry/tears he only knows the physical symptoms I ask him about. Should I see a psychiatrist, I have a self referral form but I always back down from sending it? Should I consider meds? I can't seem to keep my days of clarity for long enough on my own.

I am still going through it myself, but the only advice I can give you is you have to tell your doctor everything. Tell him it has got to the point that it is messing with your life and be honest. If you are referred to a psychiatrist or psychologist depending on what he thinks you would need, then it would probably help. I have been told it would help, but also told if you can get the will power then it can be done on your own. It is very hard on your own. Mostly because the mind doesn't want to accept the positive thoughts you try to think. Also, meds will most likely be prescribed. They work for some people. I'm not sure if mine do because I haven't got over the fear of taking them.