PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic: Free video games for all

dazza
12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi all

Apologies for the off-topic thread but, I thought this might bring a bit of a smile to your (or your kids) face if you've not heard about it...

Did you know that your PC or laptop is capable of running all your old, favourite video games? including those classics you used to find in arcades (such as PacMan, Pheonix, Galaxians, etc.) and games from popular games consoles... such as the Nintendo 64 (e.g. super mario), SEGA Megadrive (e.g. sonic the hedgehog) and many more... for free?

Well... it is!

Over the years, a bunch of very clever people have written some very clever software(s) which emulate that of the games console(s).
When run, the emulator software effectively turns your PC into a games console, where you can load and run all the available games for that console.
The games are called ROMS.

Setting the whole thing up is quite easy.

Firstly, choose what games console you want and find the EMULATOR for it.
Download & install the emulator.
Once installed, find the various websites which host the ROMS (games)
Download all the games you want, and follow the emulator instructions on how to run the game(s) - usually just a question of clicking File > Load Game... from the menu.

I won't post any more just in case no-one is interested.

If you are interested, then I'll attempt to answer any questions in this thread.

Again - apologies for the completely off-topic thread, but, if I was asked... I could link this to anxiety if I had to, lol

AceParadox
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
This is true :D
I've known about ROMs for quite some time. They're awesome and virus free.
I played through most of the old zelda games - brought back so many memories. It'll never be like how it was on the NES,NES and N64, but it's still fun to go through them again on the computer.

I believe they have a ROM thingy for every console except the newer ones (Xbox360, PS3, Wii)
They should have everything before that though.

Fun stuff :3