PDA

View Full Version : advice on falling asleep

MillieH
12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Does anyone have any advice / tips on falling asleep? I can't shut my mind off, my alarm is gonna go off in 6 hours and I have a train in my head going "rent is due, the electric bill is due, the heating bill can wait, I have to write a paper for class, it's going to be crap, cuz I won't get any sleep, and the district manager is visiting work tomorrow, and I'll be hopped up on coffee, and I won't be able to concentrate, and I'll screw up at work, and then I'll get fired, and I won't be able to afford school, so I'll have to drop out, and owe my student loans, but I'll be unemployed......" and so on and so on and so on. Help.

SunnieDebris
12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I can totally relate to those racing thoughts. Two suggestions: One, take 5-10 minutes and write down all that stuff. Just get it out of your head, and on paper. Two, do a guided imagery or progressive relaxation exercise, where you close your eyes and imaging what the narrator is saying. You can find a bunch on YouTube, and there are some great free apps. I have one of a Sottish guy and its a 20 minute relaxation, and I'm usually asleep within 5 minutes. Also, if you happen to have any Benedryl or magnesium, or valerian root hanging around in your house, all of those can help you reach that groggy point, where you can fall asleep.

MillieH
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you! Normally I read before bed to distract myself but after 2 hours tonite it still wasn't working. I see a lot of people talking about magnesium here, I want to start looking into natural cures for my anxiety. And the relaxation app sounds interesting.