PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety free for 4 years, drug-free. My quick story.

wulf
12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey all. I wanted to post a quick story of my recovery in hopes that this inspires and helps some of you through your anxiety.

5 years ago I was 25, and was suffering from the very worst of my anxiety condition since it developed when I was 20. I had been single for years, didn't drive, lived with my parents, spent all day on my computer and it was a struggle to leave my house. I took the train twice a day and usually had a panic attack both times. I would fear passing out, vomiting, going crazy, pissing myself, and so on. None of these things ever happened even after thousands of panic attacks, but the fear kept it all very real. I had almost no friends and would never go out to social events. I was painfully awkward and shy, and couldn't hold conversations with anyone but my family. Social anxiety had me in fear of going to the mailbox just in case I were to run into someone outside.

At the time, I was completely hopeless. My dad had suffered from anxiety since he was 20 as well, but it stayed well into his 50's and he still suffers from regular panic attacks. Learning this was sort of a nail in the coffin for me, as I was convinced that it wasn't possible for me to get over this.

Flash forward to today. I am 30, and have held a very successful career that I love. I own a house, and have been driving for 4 years. I am still an introverted person, but do great in social situations; I am witty, charismatic, humorous and it all can happen naturally without fighting the constant fear. Last week I flew to LA alone on a business trip, rented a car, drove around the city, and met with clients. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to do this even if someone literally offered me a million dollars. Simply the prospect of having to get onto a plane would have caused panic attacks for weeks.

In my early 20's I had been on dozens of antidepressants, and none of them did much to help. Some numbed the anxiety, but they also numbed pleasure and happiness as well. That's not to say that they won't work for anyone, but they certainly didn't work for me. I spent thousands of dollars on traditional 'talk' therapy. This didn't help much either. The therapists were convinced that this all stemmed from one point in my life, but it didn't. Nothing seemed to help.

So what helped me in the end? Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I purchased a few good books on the subject, read them a dozen times, and LIVED CBT. If I had to say what the most useful lesson from CBT is, it absolutely has to be turning off the negative self-talk. It took half a year of doing daily CBT lessons and trying to catch every single conscious thought, but when you change those fundamental "you're going to have a panic attack" to "you're doing great!" thoughts, you are almost guaranteed to get over your anxiety.

I am not 100% better. I still have anxious moments, and I still have to talk myself down from particularly stressful situations. However, I actually feel going through anxiety has made me more capable than the average person in handling tense situations. To the average person, feeling extreme amounts of stress is unfamiliar and frightening. To people like us, it's familiar and we know it's going to end. When I used to have panic attacks, taking a lorazepam was my 'tool' to get over it. Now, well practiced breathing exercises and self-talk are far more effective, if I even have to use them.

I'm convinced CBT is the cure. Anxiety stems from irrational fears. It doesn't matter if you have one fear or thousands; CBT can and will train your brain not to be afraid. It's really as simple as that.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story and would be happy to respond to any questions. Feel free to PM me and i'll help you best I can. 5 years ago I didn't think it was possible to get rid of anxiety. Sitting here now I feel like I've been given a second chance at life!

funkstarsista
12-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks, can u recommend your favourite CBT books?

dazza
12-09-2012, 03:54 AM
> However, I actually feel going through anxiety has made me more capable than the average person in handling tense situations. To the average person, feeling extreme amounts of stress is unfamiliar and frightening. To people like us, it's familiar and we know it's going to end. When I used to have panic attacks, taking a lorazepam was my 'tool' to get over it. Now, well practiced breathing exercises and self-talk are far more effective, if I even have to use them

Diazepam was (and very occasionally still is) my "tool". Benzo's are very fast acting calmers - the speed they get into your system is similar to that of taking a glass of strong alcohol. You have a cheeky smile on your face after 20/30 minutes :-)

Anxiety / panic is very similar to a break-up I reckon... the first stages are fucking awful, where the average person would often turn to alcohol to get them through the worst, the anxiety sufferer will often turn to medication. Same thing really - both are looking for ways to take away the mental pain that both scenarios cause.

Once the initial shock of it all has been & gone, the break-up sufferer will drink less and the anxiety sufferer will take less medication, until eventually you're back down to earth and realise that life isn't that bad after all.

Unfortunately, some people are too predisposed to worrying... often over the stupidest of things. Curing these folk takes a LOT longer because they've got much more of a fight on their hands (or, in their head rather).

wulf
12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks, can u recommend your favourite CBT books?

Hey there, for sure. A great start and introduction to CBT is Feeling Good by David D. Burns. The book that was really a turning point for me was The Worry Cure by Robert Leahy, which is basically my holy bible. It's really phenomenal stuff. There are a few other CBT books I read (like dummies guide to CBT) which aren't bad, but the two others I mentioned would be the best place to start. Like I mentioned before, read these book multiple times and do EVERYTHING they suggest. A lot of it might seem worthless to start with, and believe me, it was a struggle to get going. But once you start noticing a change, you won't be able to stop!

I haven't been up-to-date for the last few years on books, but I would recommend going on Amazon, searching for CBT books and trying out the ones that get good reviews. Each book will likely teach the same principals, but they will just be geared towards different types of anxiety, or delivered in a slightly different fashion.

wulf
12-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Diazepam was (and very occasionally still is) my "tool". Benzo's are very fast acting calmers - the speed they get into your system is similar to that of taking a glass of strong alcohol. You have a cheeky smile on your face after 20/30 minutes :-)

I agree; Benzo's are extremely useful. Even people without anxiety conditions use these, and they are certainly beneficial to many. I personally felt that for me, they sort of took some power away from dealing with the situation on my own. It made me feel like I couldn't handle anxiety without taking a pill. This is why even in situations where I know i'm going to have a rough time, I still won't take these with me. I need to know I can deal with the situation on my own, and i'm sort of fearful that I would again start relying on them as heavily as I did in the past.

Unfortunately, some people are too predisposed to worrying... often over the stupidest of things. Curing these folk takes a LOT longer because they've got much more of a fight on their hands (or, in their head rather).

They are. For the most part, this is a learned behavior, and usually something that is passed down from your parents. My mom, while she doesn't suffer from anxiety, is a chronic worrier. This behavior was passed to me, and I am still and probably will always be a worrier. CBT doesn't so much stop the worry thoughts from happening as it stops them from continuing and turning into things that plague your mind constantly. Anxiety is more your perception of the worry being important enough to threaten your life (on a subconscious, animal level) rather than an annoying thought. Turning this around is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and will probably be way harder for some others.

wulf
12-09-2012, 10:29 AM
PS: Sorry to all who sent me a PM; my post count isn't high enough to reply, so I will do so as soon as I have time to make some more meaningful posts here. :)

eyebob
12-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Thanks for this post. I have the Davie burns book, it helps me hen I went through my fist bout 10 years ago. Iamgoing through another bout now, I should re-read it. I can also relate to your practice of living the CBT. I used to, but had not picked up the habit again, maybe I should.

mw0929
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
It's always nice to read success stories. Gives me hope that I can beat this. Thank you for sharing.