PDA

View Full Version : feel stupid

SakuraFett
12-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Ok let me start by apologizing for how long this will probably be. I've had anxiety and panic attacks for a little over seven years now and I feel like it's totally controlling my life. Today I was supposed to take a flight to see my grandmother in myrtle beach and I have been so afraid of this trip ever since my grandpa suggested it over a month ago. I got on the plane today and put my bag in the overhead compartment and buckled myself in and as soon as I had the buckle fastened I had a panic attack and had to get off the plane. I just couldn't go through with it even though it has been planned out for over a month. I bailed at the last second and I feel like such a loser. I dissappointed my grandma and have inconvienced so many people now. I don't know what to do but I hate this fear that I constantly live with and I'm sure other people see me as weak. Well I guess I should stop my rambling now. thanks for your time anyone reading/responding to this.

rcohn20
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
This isn't anything to be ashamed of! You're not the first person to have a panic attack and leave a plane and definitely not the last!
Anxiety is terrible and you can definitely be helped! Please find a therapist who does CBT and I promise you will get better!

SunnieDebris
12-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Sakura,

It's really ok! Like rcohn20 said, you're not the first or the last. Yes, your grandmother wanted to see you and is disappointed that she cannot, but that is only because she cares about you and wants to spend time with you. You are definitely not a loser. If you have not already told your medical doctor what is going on, now would be a good time. He/she may be able to prescribe something to help take the edge off. It's also probably a good idea to start considering attending therapy sessions. There are different approaches, and no 1 answer is right for everyone, so dont be discouraged of the first one you try doesn't work out. You are not alone here! I hope you find the answers that you seek.

mw0929
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
You're definitely not alone. It is better you got off when you did instead of having an attack while in the air. That's a horrible feeling. I'm sure your grandma is disappointed but would want you to put your health first. Maybe you could take a train or drive if it would be more comfortable for you.

acetone
12-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I can relate. I sat in a 2 hour long employment exam while I was feeling dizzy and panicky few months ago. Paid the price for it when panic and dizziness struck with full force. Fortunately the panic subsided after half an hour or so and I somehow completed the exam. Worst two hours of my life.